What is best way to use video capture with a imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WizardHunt, Jun 5, 2007.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Hello,
    If I want to do video editing, I know I can use my video camera as a source to input my video into the imac, but if I have made some on dvds already that I wish to make modications to, what is the best thing to buy to accomplish this or will the new imacs coming out have some sort of input for video in and audio inputs? Do you recommend any one product over the next as long as it is under $400.00?

WizardHunt

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can just import the contents of your DVD onto your hard drive and then open and edit in something like iMovie.

4. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Yes it is the Canon HV20 HD

5. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Import onto Hard Drive like just copying? So what you are saying that I would not even need a video capture card or box that would plug in like a USB?

Wizardhunt

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think I'm confused as to what you want to do. You should be able to connect your camera directly to your iMac via USB/Firewire and transfer the video to your hard drive without any problems.

8. Scannall macrumors member

Just plug your camera into your Mac, and the appropiate app will launch. Then click the buttons to import it. Nothing extra needed.

Edit the footage in iMovie, burn it with iDVD.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you have some video already burned to a DVD that you would like to edit, then correct...you don't need video capture. Just a program to rip the video to an editable format. You want something that will rip it to DV format, ideally. I know one exists (because I've used it), but the name escapes me.

Edit: MPEG Streamclip is the program I used. I think it's free, but don't quote me on that.

10. Scannall macrumors member

http://handbrake.m0k.org/ works great for ripping DVD's.

11. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Well like if I wanted to include something from a past recording that I have recorded on dvd and only have that dvd and not the source that I recorded,(like if I lost or misplaced my tape) how could I get a portion of that dvd into my present recording without using some sort of a capture box? Unless I could just copy it to my hard drive and use imovie or something to do the editing.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

1. Insert DVD into iMac drive.
    2. Use Handbrake to import the video as an H.264 file.
    3. Drag and drop onto iMovie.
    4. Edit as you need.
    5. Burn to DVD using iDVD.

13. apcpa2000 macrumors member

apcpa2000

I am a newbie here, and am waiting to purchase my Imac until after WWDC, but I have been reading a bunch of posts over the last month.

My quick question is, whats the diference in using the H.264 file vs. MPEG-4?

14. apcpa2000 macrumors member

apcpa2000

Thanks.

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Functionally, Hanbrake will encode its standard MPEG4 about twice as fast as the H.264, but H.264 gives better video quality and a bit smaller file size (IIRC).