What is better...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook pro i5, Feb 24, 2012.

1. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Do you believe word is better or pages I am purchasing one of these things and would like o have documents synced on to my iPad via iCloud.

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

iCloud support for word or even ios support is not sure. However icloud support for the iWork set will be available with os x mountain lion. Syncing between iOS devices is already supported. You can't sync with a Mac till mountain lion releases this summer.

3. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Pages is a fine word processing program at a fraction of the cost of Word. If you need more Word compatibility check out OpenOffice (free) and NeoOffice ($10). If you must have complete compatibility with Word due to work/school requirements then you may have to get Word.

I've been using Macs for 17 years and I have never had to use word. It's been either AppleWorks or iWorks (Pages).

4. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I forgot how much it was but you can get a student discount microsoft word for a fraction of the retail price. I think it was about $29.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I use iWork (which means I use Pages) on my MBP since I got it free with my Mac. Apart from a couple of times when I had to do group projects for my classes (I had to use my old Gateway laptop for these projects), I haven't had any problems using iWork for my daily usage. Unless you know you'll be doing quite a bit of collaborative work (whether for classes or work), then you should be fine. Also, as eagandale4114 mentioned earlier, if you have multiple Apple devices then you can keep your files in sync using iCloud (after the release of ML, of course).

6. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I don't need word compatibility and i believe if i need it i can set pages to save as word document? sorry for n00b question this is my first mac and love it.

7. /user/me macrumors 6502

It depends on if you have to collaborate with others at all. If you do, then Word would be better, because Pages doesn't work with word very well.

8. kywildcats macrumors member

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

You can save Pages documents in Word format. If you want to send somebody a file that is guaranteed to be compatible save it as a PDF. Every PC and Mac has the ability to open a PDF.

As a self-identified noob, may I welcome you to the fold! A great book for any Mac owner is David Pogue's "Missing Manual" series. Get the edition for your operating system e.g. Lion. Amazon has it in Kindle format for a good price and immediate downloading. I've been using Macs since 1995 and I always have a copy around the house. It has answers to question like yours and a ton of info on how to get the most out of a Mac. I learn new things about operating system upgrades that I probably would have missed if I didn't read the book.

10. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Thanks but I've learnt a lot having my my mac for a year

11. /user/me macrumors 6502

Yet didn't know what program would serve your needs....

12. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Oh no i had it for entertainment purposes for a year but then our college required us this year to get either program so i didn't need either till this year.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I personally like word because of what it has to offer but if you want the ability to save to iCloud, and edit the documents on an iPad then I think Pages better fits your needs

14. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

If you're doing any real work that may have to be shared with someone or run on windows machines, you have no other option than MS Office, no matter what you read here.

Office 2011 for Mac is actually quite decent.

15. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Since your asking this question and it's for school, then you could go either way with little inconvenience.

But the mass majority of corporations are a Windows world and a Microsoft Office world. Depending how long you have left in school, 3+ years, Then who cares because by the time you are entering the working world there will be newer revisions out, and the choice will come up again.

16. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Well i suppose I'm buying word then.I guess I might have to for later years:(

17. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Check your student discounts for MS Office 2011 for Mac.

I got it for $9.99 [ Word, Excel, PP, Outlook, Lync, Remote Desktop Connection and MS Document Connection ]

The price varies from $9.99 to $29.99 depending on the program.

Don't go out and pay retail for this!!

18. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

My discount is from $300 NZ to $89 NZ so a significant decrease and I have purchased it today.