What is bringing my MBP to its knees?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Singin Hobo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

I'm running Lion on one of the early 2011 MBPs, i7 2.2ghz, 8 gigs RAM

Lion is draining my computer. Pretty much everything I do, from Aperture to Scrivener to organizing apps in Launch Pad just sends my computer's fan flying and the battery draining. I'm accustomed to leaving my power cable at home and running on the battery with no trouble to get a few hours of Aperture in the middle of my day while I'm out and about. Now I don't know that it would make it much past an hour.

Is there something in Lion that kills the computer? Something I can do to make it better?

2. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I noticed that too, right after the install. The machine ran hot, fans going strong etc. I checked for additional updates via MAS and Software Update. Sure enough, there were a few. Even though it didn't force me to, I quite all apps and did a restart after the updates.

It's been running normally ever since. My 2010 Mini did the same thing.

Maybe you've already done all that, but if not, give it a shot. It solved the problem for me.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Is it possible that both of you were just noticing the initial Spotlight indexing that Lion does after installation? It kicks the fans up pretty high, but finishes fairly quickly.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Yup, it's the spotlight indexing. Click on spotlight and it'll tell you how far through it's got.

5. Singin Hobo thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not so sure... I noticed that in the morning and waited for all of the updates throughout the day. It's still running hotter than normal during Aperture, but maybe I just need to wait for a Lion optimized Aperture update. I hope so anyway... :) Thanks for the input.

6. vmachiel macrumors 68000

The indexing of course! Thank you, i started to freak out a little:p