What is closest to MBA on the evil side!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jnachbar, May 29, 2014.

1. jnachbar, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

jnachbar macrumors member

My windows work laptop was stolen (POS Lenovo). Personally, I've never bought a windows machine and have owned many many, many macs...my boss won't buy me a mac for our office's windows environment but will pretty much allow me to get whatever windows machine I want, within price reason of course.

What is the closest thing to a MacBook Air in the windows world? I've had 2 11" MBAs and love them!

Need something light for carrying around, SSD, adequate memory and power. Mostly standard work stuff, so nothing really special needed. rather get memory, power and light vs. hybrid with bells and whistles. I do prefer laptop over tablet for doing actual work....

Hope this question is not inappropriate!

2. case2001 macrumors 6502

Why not buy the MacBook Air you want and use bootcamp with windows 7 or 8. I think that's about as close as you can get.

3. jnachbar thread starter macrumors member

Not sure I can get work to go for that...Going to give it a try. any limitations I should be aware of using bootcamp?

4. majkom macrumors 65816

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a ThinkPad X1 Carbon.

Better in every single way than a MacBook Air, and I like using Windows.

The touch version is slightly thicker. Personally I use the regular one.

Only drawback is it's pretty much priced the same if not more.

6. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

I ran windows 7 using bootcamp on my 2013 mba last year and, as I recall...

1) While I could access my hp printer, it would not show ink levels.
    2) Speaker volume was lessened.
    3) And worse of all, battery life was almost cut in half.

Apart from those things, windows ran flawlessly.

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Because the OP's boss is footing the bill, so no Macs. Has nothing to do with the ability to run windows on a Mac.

8. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Took a quick look and critics are on the fence with its 6h battery life no SD slot.

9. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

10. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine gets more than 6 hours and it definitely has an SD card slot.

Edit: Looks like they removed the slot for the 2014 model. How confusing why they did this.

12. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Have you ever picked up that 11 inch ultrabook.. OMG it's sooooooo small. It's amazingly small and I wish I could buy one but it's just not powerful enough for me... :( I need something that small that supports 16GB of ram..

13. jnachbar, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014

jnachbar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Just might have an outside chance of going with a mac, bootcamp...but I think it's a long shot. If I can go mac, any thoughts between 13 MBA or 13 MB Pro Retina. I don't mean in general, there are tons of post on this, I mean for my situation...I have a 11" 2013 MBA of my own to use whenever ultralight is required, with the drawback of that meaning I'm using my own computer for work. But at the office, plugged into a windows environment, TB to ethernet, any big advantages to MBA vs MBPro. I would still drag it around occasionally for presentations, trainings and such but use my own if ultralight is needed. I think I remember reading something about the type of SSD in MB Pro Retinas.

If no real advantage to MBPro retina at office, would go with 13" MBA and use both at office and portable...saving wear and tear on my own personal MBA.

If I do go with windows, I'm currently looking at:

Lenovo - 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - Silver

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...04810&skuId=1817254&st=lenovo yoga&cp=1&lp=10

They are in stock at all the local best buys, have i7, 256 SSDs and 8GB memory. Looks like solid specs at pretty good price ($1,200), am I missing something here on this one?

or

Sony - VAIO 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive - Black

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-va...lack/2006024.p?id=1219068210432&skuId=2006024

also available at best buy $200 off sale price

14. kelon111, May 31, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy either of those laptops.

I'd buy something like this instead.

Matte screens are better for brightly lit places like offices and the warranty on the Zbook is better than what you are used to. Also , having an AMD FirePro M4100 lets you do GPU related tasks faster (better) as well.

BTW Sony sold their laptop division so don't expect to get good warranty service or quick part replacement.

15. jnachbar thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to be so long-winded, but for a more traditional work environment, windows laptops also looking at

Lenovo Build to order T440, can do i5 or i7, 128 or 256 SSD, 4Gb or 8GB memory for $986-$1500 depending.

or

VAIO Pro 13 Touch Ultrabook
    i5, 128GB SSD, 4G memory
    $1,250

thanks again!

16. kelon111 macrumors 6502

The T440 is a better quality machine. You should also be able to upgrade some of the parts yourself and save a few hundred dollars as well.

I don't recommend buying any Sony laptops at this point in time.

17. jnachbar thread starter macrumors member

That is a much steeper price point, other reasons besides screen and warranty one could argue for this computer?

18. kelon111, May 31, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

It has a dedicated GPU meant for professional work (mostly CAD but it still helps for other things), the build quality is better than pretty much all consumer laptops , you can have two SSDs ( one m.2 and one SATA III). It is very easy to maintain hardware wise (ask some IT people if don't know what I mean). Of course that specific model also has 16 GB of RAM. It has a wired gigabit port (missing on many slim laptops). It has a spill resistance keyboard ( if some water spills on it , it would be ok). I forgot to mention that it has 3 years of onsite warranty as well.

The fingerprint reader is pretty useful as well ( good luck finding that on a consumer laptop).

The zbook also has a smart card reader.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA4-8355ENW

If you want a cheaper build of the Zbook 14 , you can look here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257722
    You can always change the HDD and add more RAM
    This one has a 1 year warranty though and doesn't have all the upgrades of the other one

19. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I had the Lenovo X1 before getting my MacBook Air, it was a nice machine - similar weight, not Apple's level of fit & finish but generally well built. Keyboard lighting is an LED above the screen shining down, OK but just not as elegant.

20. Redbull916 macrumors member

Redbull916

"What's the closest to MBA"

Nothing comes close. #

21. linjac951 macrumors member

XPS 12 or Asus ux301. But in battery life, Macbook Air Wins. Its not because of hardware though, it's because OS X is just better optimized. If you were to use windows on a Macbook Air, you would get similar Battery Life. The very closest would be the ASUS ux32vd. That comes with a slightly faster dedicated video card and 1080p display at around $999. You would need to swap the hard drive out with SSD buts no more than 100 bucks and it comes with i7 processor

22. jnachbar thread starter macrumors member

Was waiting for this reply...Kinda surprise it took so long!!

23. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Fujitsu LifeBooks also have a pretty good reputation.
    I actually got an ad showed for the T902/T904 ;-)
    So, look at the T-series, or the U-series. The S904 boasts 24h battery-life.
    They're not cheaper than a MBA.

My current Fujitsu laptop is almost ten years old. If I ever have to get a new one and if I don't buy whatever Apple has on offer at that point, Fujitsu is probably the only useful contender...

But I don't think I can run Windows. Not anymore.
    So if it doesn't run OS X, it has to run Linux (or BSD).

24. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

You should try the following:

• Sony Vaio Pro
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon
    • Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro
    • Acer Aspire S7
    • Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus
    • Asus Zenbook "Infinity" UX301A
    • HP Spectre 13p
    • Dell XPS 13
    • Toshiba Kirabook
    • Fujitsu Lifebook UH90

These are all fine ultrabooks, thin and light, and the highest-end offers of the manufacturers.

Of all the ones I personally saw, the one that impressed me most was the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus. The screen is just gorgeous, and it is very thin, light and elegant. The IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro was fine as well, but lacks this premium feeling. The Sony Vaio Pro is very thin and light, and a good offering too. The Dell XPS 13 and the Acer Aspire S7 are good, but I did not get along so well with them (I didn't find the keyboard to be so good in any of them). The new Asus Zenbook looks gorgeous on the pictures, but I did not yet see one in person. I haven't seen the others.

If I were to choose, I would probably be between the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus, the Asus Zenbook "Infinity" and the ThinkPad X1 Carbon (or perhaps even the Yoga 2 Pro if I was on a budget).

25. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I have a fondness for the Yoga 2 Pro. If I were to buy a Win8 machine this would be the one. Of course I have a MBA...so....