What is Cloud icon in iCloud Drive in Finder?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by legaleye3000, Jan 9, 2016.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I just decided to use iCloud Drive and copied a bunch of stuff there in Finder. I see some files that have a cloud icon next to it. What does this mean?

Also, does iCloud Drive work the same as Dropbox, meaning, if I put my iTunes library in it and make a change on one computer that my iTunes library will update on my other computers? Thanks.

2. weinschela macrumors regular

weinschela

The cloud symbol means -- I think -- that the system is still downloading or uploading that file. I have seen it but only when I have just saved something to icloud. I have not used it for iTunes (5G is a bit stingy for iTunes) but it should work. Files are replicated on each icloud machine.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for your reply.

I've read a bunch of places where some say iCloud Drive does work like Dropbox and others say it doesn't. I'm currently uploading about 100gb on one computer but my other computer hasn't seen any downloads yet, unlike Dropbox. Does iCloud Drive wait until a complete upload of many folders are finished or is it supposed to sync/download the folders as they complete their upload? Thanks.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

:eek:

5. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

Did you purchase additional space?
    Standard issue from Apple is 5GB...........your just a "tad" over that. ;)

6. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course. The sync was SO EXTREMELY SLOW that I just gave up on it and went back to FREE.