What is coming next for mac/macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Jun 12, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

When is the next major revision of the MBP. I would consider a major revision the switch to intel and unibody design. How many years do you think this current gen will have? I would think on more updates this year but next year faster i processors.

When Jobs was email re the death of the mac he responded just wait. What do you think is coming does it have anything to do with a notebook

http://9to5mac.com/death_of_the_mac_untrue

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt Apple will change the design anytime soon, it's very gorgeous at the moment. As for innards, Apple COULD switch to AMD next year as their "Fusion" line looks very good but so does Intel's Sandy Bridge. We won't see a switch like PPC to Intel in near future, possibly never (maybe when totally new technology comes such as optical computing or quantum computing). The new thing is GPU computing i.e. building software that can take advantage of GPUs power which has currently been hidden and only used in games and high-end apps, so better GPUs and developing GPUs even more can be what we are seeing in near future.

I can't see anything significant coming in few years, just pretty much normal updates such as new CPUs and GPUs.

3. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

in regards to the 13 when will we see a higher res?
    will the entire line switch to ips displays?
    do think apple will go with 16x9?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Either along with next update or the update after that. When the hi res screen is standard in 15", 13" should get 1440x900 as BTO first and then as a standard.

As for IPS and 16:9, it's hard to say. IPS is still pretty expensive and Apple might be waiting for OLED.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I'd love to see OLED, that is once they've dealt with the issues regarding the short life span of the blue pixel and it's major vulnerability to water damage.

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

If they can put ips In a $499 iPad, then i am sure they can implement it into their laptops.

7. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

good point

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I really really don't hope so. It's great for movies, but that's it. It's too narrow for everything else.

- Sure they can. The question is whether or not it is worth it. IPS is more expensive than the current MBP displays.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The technology isn't quite there yet, but, in two years or so, you should be able to get an affordable, high-performance, high-capacity, long-lasting SSD. Affordable, as in, replace hard-drives across the board for the boot drive, which will be 128MB-1TB. With the much better random read/write performance that SSD's have, it will be easier to realize multi-threaded performance on consumer apps. Upgrade to a 4-core/8-thread CPU, and upgraded multi-threaded apps, and, it will feel like it is 10X faster and more responsive. Hard-drives will become outboard attachments for people doing photo/video/other imaging-- maybe a semi-portable RAID (Like the Seagate FW800 RAID from 3 years ago, but, a lot smaller.)

So, SSD's replace boot drives everywhere in the next 2-3 years is my guess.

10. Meever macrumors 6502a

What happened to all those rumors surrounding a possible switch to AMD? There were some buzzes for a few weeks a couple months ago and.... silence.

11. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I think it will probably be at least two years before they make any change in the "look" of the MBP. The unibody they have now has been working out great for them...and personally I love it too. If they are able to continually update display and internal hardware, i'd be fine with the aluminum unibody for a while.

12. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

+1

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

+2

14. liljoedaprince macrumors member

For Macbook Pros:

Next Upgrade- better GPU, CPU, higher HDD/SSD size, USB 3.0

Next- better GPU, Sandy Bridge (in 13" also), higher HDD/SSD, lightpeak on higher end models, OLED

Big Update- better (ATI) GPU's, Faster Sandy bridge CPU's, all lightpeak, all SSD??? 16:9??, option for removal of optical drive for more space, better camera, AMD CPU option

by the time of the big update, prices will have been decreased by $300-$400

15. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The next revision MBP will be running iOS and will have a closed app ecosystem, monitored closely by Apple.

16. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Sounds awesome!

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, that's just it, they were "rumors". :p

18. Reapur macrumors regular

Highly doubt you will see USB 3.0 in any Mac. Apple has been working with Intel to develop Lightpeak which is much faster than USB 3.0 and is backwards compatible with USB 2.0. That will most likely be the next big addition to connectivity of Macs in general.

19. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

+++1 (specially the last part!!!)

20. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

yeah I really doubt that they can drastically change the looks of the macbook line that much. aside from making them a bit thinner/lighter and removing the optical drives entirely. basically I predict the air will be canceled soon and in four years or so all macbooks will look like it.