What is considered a fast internet connection?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TenFour, Feb 14, 2008.

1. TenFour macrumors member

I hope this is the proper area for this thread. I was just wondering what would be considered a fast internet connection today. I'm online with a brand new Mac Pro and I'm speed testing at 1010 kBps Down/310 Up. This is unacceptable and I'm looking for a new ISP. What speed numbers should I expect on the Mac Pro?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Surely this has more to do with what your ISP is offering?
    More details?
    Where are you… what speed you are expecting… etc.

3. TimJim macrumors 6502a

A faster computer doesnt mean faster internet. An iMac G3 with great internet will be faster with browing than a horrible internet connection with a new Mac Pro.

4. MAW macrumors regular

That's not incredibly fast. But it is in the range of DSL. I would say anything above 3.0 Mbps is pretty good. You'll pay more for that ofcourse.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

In the UK, 8Mbits/sec is pretty much the standard speed which all providers offer with some offering up to 24Mbits/sec downstream too.

The coverage of 8Mbits/sec is pretty much nationwide (although the speed you get reduces depending on how far you live from your local telephone exchange) while 20MBits+ is more limited.

6. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i have 24.8mb down/2.5mb up

bethere.co.uk for best net in uk

7. G4DP macrumors 65816

8mb down, .5mb up, not the best but it's more than i need.

8. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

Precisely my point, that's why I'm looking for an new ISP. The computer isn't the cause or solution, but I want service that's worthy of a $4000 computer. My present situation is analogous to a Ferrari driving on 4 flat tires.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

at work we class anything faster then 512k fast

RAS anyone ?:D

10. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Broadband, 10 Mbps. Good enough for me, DSL is slow compared to it, but not too bad as to make things unusable, IMO a computer doesn't have a lot of use without the internet unless you have something to do on it, the internet to me is a time waster, and a good one at that.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I know people are upset with Comcast and Time Warner right now, but from what I have seen Cable is way faster than DSL in most cases.

My standard Comcast connection downloads at 8-16Mb all the time, and uploads burst from 384K-1.2Mb. I see Time Warner connections with 3-6Mb also.

My parents 1.0Mb DSL connection is noticably slower.

If you are downloading much - say podcasts, iTunes songs, movies, etc, then this is a noticable difference.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Great if you can get it.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Capital B? as in Bytes? 1010 kiloBytes/sec is 8080 kilobits/sec = 7.890625 Mbps

So you are getting nearly 8Mbps and you are complaining? Don't...be happy.

If you meant bits, then yeah...thats nothing to write home about.

14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

capital B means bytes, you have an extremely fast connection, and if you live in america you should feel DAMNED privileged to live in an area that has something higher than 6mbps "theoretical maximum" (thats bits, and real world speeds are more likely to be around 4.5mbps). Most of america cant come anywhere close to 1MB download speeds, you probably have a 10mbps or a very efficient 8mbps service which is absolutely nothing to complain about.

15. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i have Surewest fiber to the home here in cali

speed is 20Mbit down / 20Mbit up (or about 2MBps each way)

:) $89 a month .... price about to drop, and they offer 50Mbit / 50Mbit too

16. lethalOne macrumors member

Canada - best you can get

I have Highspeed Cable internet - 18 Mbps down and 1Mbps up (so called Extreme Plus).

Generally get a max of 15 or 16 download - practically speaking.

You can also get 18Mbps - on some DSL connections if you are close enough to the CO and/or work for one of the ISP's.

:cool:

17. ChrisA macrumors G4

Unacceptable to you maybe but 1010/310 is faster then what most people have and is about mid-range for a DSL connection. cable companies can offer up to 10X faster but that 10X fster line is shared with other users.

Today if you want a fast connection that puts you in the upper 5% of home users I think you need about 5 megabits/sec. I've seen prices for this level of service for just over $100 per month. Some companies are offering fiber optic connection to the home now. These are about 5Mb/sec and the pprice is well under $100

I'm spoiled here. I'm typing this on a OC-3 link.
    See here for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC-192#OC-3_.2F_STM-1x

18. billandy macrumors regular

janet when you're the only one in the entire university...

mine averages 3.0mb/s download and uploads during term time.

19. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Wow, my "high speed" internet maxes out at about 200 kb/s, and I consider that very fast compared to my old 20-50 kb/s....

20. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

California. Can't get Cable (rural), lucky to get 5000 down and around 650 up with dsl. Thought that was good until I tried my brother's Cable (Bay Area) and he is pulling 17000 or so. Now I am discontented again... Do I need the speed? Puhleese, think how much faster I could reload the forum spy...

21. KruseF1 macrumors newbie

15/Mb up 2Mb down with Road Runner here. Check out speedtest.net for a whole bunch of stats about your area, country, ISP, etc. It will rank your connection against others as well.

22. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

No, no, my mistake, I meant kb/s, why I capitalized the b I don't know. So I got my answer; my connection is nothing to write home about.

23. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

@ my university I'm getting 4319 kb/s (Download) and 1940 kb/s (Upload)

24. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good to me, what University is that, NASCAR University... pretty fast, no?;)

25. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I love Be... I've been signed up with them for a year and I've had no issues whatsoever. I don't even get the 24mb/s... I'm on about 5mb/s, but they are just such a great company that I don't care...

Wow, I really sound like an advert!