What is Considered a Safe Temperature for the Macbook ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by augustya, Feb 10, 2014.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Hi Guys,

I would like to know what is considered a safe, acceptable temperature on the Macbook. iStat Menus on my Mac shows temperature which keeps hovering around from 45 degrees to 65 degrees ! When I am watching a Flash Enabled website the temp rises to a 65 degrees level...is this safe ? What is the safe temp on Mac ? And what is considered an alarming Temp on the Mac.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The CPU throttles when it approaches 105c so anything below that is fine. If you approach the 90s and don''t hear the fans then I'd say you should reset the SMC as the fans need to manage the heat

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

So From this of your above link...It says...

"If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range".

How often is this permitted if this happens on a daily basis, that is constantly putting stress in the system by demanding tasks which require to Run Flash Videos, Games, CPU / GPU Intensive stuff if this happens on a daily basis, will it shorten the life of the Machine ?

"For Flash-related issues:
    Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available.
    Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    Use the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.).

Installing these Flash like "Click to Flash" and "Flashblock" How will it help ? Does this causes less stress on the CPU/GPU ?

4. simsaladimbamba

There is no need for permissions. If it happens on a daily basis, it happens on a daily basis. Your computer will not fail due to that unless it has already a hardware defect since its inception.

It can help.

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

65 degrees is well within normal conditions. As long as your fan is working correctly and spinning up when it needs to you won't have any issues.

Before I got my iMac I used to run video encoding on my 2008 MacBook (white model) and would regularly see temps in the 90's. Even with this I've never had a problem with it and the computer runs well to this day.

6. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

That's what I am asking How ?

7. simsaladimbamba

Depending on what MBP you have, it will put less stress on the CPU playing back Flash content.
    With newer MBPs it might not be necessary though, as Flash is better on newer machines.

8. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I have a Retina MBP 13" so do I need click to flash and Flashblocker actually elsewhere also I have been suggested about using this clicktoflash hence am curious how does it help ?

9. AmbientChaos macrumors member

AmbientChaos

Although I'm not sure about the exact mechanics of how they work, they work in similar ways; either they run in the background, killing Flash whenever it starts up, or they prevent it from loading in the first place. It's helpful when you browse webpages with Flash elements, including, but not limited to, flash ads. Basically in these scenarios you won't ever (probably) click the ad, yet Flash player is loaded to display the ad anyway. Some benefits, from the web page of "ClickToPlugin (same people who made ClickToFlash):

I don't see why you shouldn't use it. Although you don't need to run all of them, as you say. Do some research as to what fits your usage needs and use one.

Chrome has a similar feature built in.

If you need to load Flash (e.g. to play a flash video on YouTube), you just click the box where the Flash element is and it will load it.