What is considered a 'skip' and 'play'

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DJAKO, Apr 23, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

Is there certain criteria that needs to be meet to be considered a skip in iTunes? Does the song have to play for X amount of seconds, etc.

Same question goes for play count.

Thanks

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

To be considered a play, the track must reach the end and go to another.

Not sure about skips, I never looked at skip count.

3. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, kinda sucks because a lot of the time I play a song right to the end and don't finish the last few seconds before hitting next.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I guess? If it's going to go to a song you want to hear next anyway, why not just let it play through to the end?

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

6. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

I usually just put my songs on shuffle and when I'm in my car, there are certain songs I want to hear more than others. So I'll skip through songs after one is nearly complete.

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

My wife skips the ends of songs like that and it drives me crazy! :)
    As soon as the last word of a song is done, she skips to the next song. She can't wait 2 seconds to start singing along again.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL I have to admit I do that with mix CDs sometimes. I wouldn't do it if someone else were in the car, though. And I have to admit that I don't do it on my iPod because of the playcounts....

What about if you *start* a song in the middle? Is it always counted as a skip, or is it sometimes counted as a play? The only reason I ask is cuz I do that sometimes while building loops or trying to make ringtones, and I don't think I've seen it increase the playcount when I start a song in the middle and play to the end, but I'm not sure.

(I do know, though, that if you ... that is your wife ;) really want the songs trimmed down without screwing up the playcount, you can play with the track end time and the crossfade settings....)