What is currently the best value on SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeff5886, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jeff5886, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

Jeff5886 macrumors regular

Ok I have been searching through post (many old posts as well with old info) about SSD and I really like the idea of doing this upgrade. I don't put any media on the internal HD as i have a TB external for music, movies etc. I really only need about 150ish gigs for an internal SSD. My questions are...

1. What SSD do you think is the best VALUE for speed? If possible, post links.
    2. What interface type and form factor do I need?
    3. How does every feel about hybrid drive such as the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB? If the Hybrids are 80% as fast as SSD (Dont really know the ratio) and 25% of price, this is a WAY better VALUE?!

Thanks

2. seydurin macrumors member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

a REALLY good and relatively new SSD that would serve your purpose really well.

2,5" form factor and SATA II.

Hybrid drives at the moment use wayyyy more power than newer SSD's, which at least for me is good enough a reason to get an SSD - if just as a boot drive. Also remember the Momentus XT only has 4gb of SSD, which is VERY little. It really won't be able to keep a lot in there, which I think is a real shame. Had it had maybe 16 gbs of flash, I'd be less worried, but 4gb is barely enough for some of the most used apps, for me at least.

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

As someone pointed out, value is relative. You could dual partion your drive with a small outer partion 1 with the os and most used aps/files and take advantage of the drives mechanical and storage properties for a free speed up as well.

The real question is - what do you do that requires faster disk access? With enough ram you can keep aps open and the MBP's battery life allows you to sleep it rather than shut it down; so s/u times aren't an issue for many users.

4. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

The most I use the computer for these days is multi-tasking and some gaming with bootcamp. It it not common for me to have 7-10 apps running and jumping back and forth from them. I just want ZERO LAG as i open/switch programs.

5. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks alot! I am looking for something though thats 160g or above, but thanks for answering the other questions.

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Kingston SSDs are the best priced at the moment. Rarely you can get a OCZ Vertex 2 for an amazing price, but rarely.

7. CW Jones macrumors 6502

How is this thread too old? Or not containing just about everything you need to know about SSD's and the best values out there?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1030928

Its last reply was yesterday and its about SSD's that are 160GB or greater (what your looking for...)

Looks like another case of someone not searching very hard, and yet another topic on the exact same thing.

Mroogle search button is in my signature.

8. SudoSSD macrumors newbie

OCZ Vertex drives are worth the extra money.

120GB Vertex 2 drives are around $220.

9. kobazik macrumors newbie

Worth extra money

OCZ Vertex 2 are blazing fast