What is 'Exchange' in email setup on iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dubs83, Jul 28, 2015.

1. dubs83 macrumors regular

I've noticed that every event I create in my calendar is duplicated and I found out today that it looks like I have something called Exchange as well as gmail set up in my calendar settings on my iphone.

What exactly is exchange? Is this something to do with Microsoft? I don't ever recall setting it up. I only recall clicking 'add account' in 'settings' on the iphone and adding my gmail accounts

If it is a duplicate from my gmail I will just delete it. Just curious what exactly it means and what the advantage is to having it.

appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

2. MatsSkoe macrumors member

MatsSkoe

It is serverside software from Microsoft. It is mostly used by (larger) companies for their mail, contact and calendar environment. So only if your employer or maybe educational institution uses this system you will need to add an exchange account to your Mac, iPad or iPhone.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Like MatStoe said Exchange is an expensive email server software develope a while ago from Microsoft as part of most companies/ corporations use. Here is the Mircosoft Exchange site that you learn more about it.

You find most Exchange servers as part of Microft Domains in companies, large Colleges, etc.

4. dubs83 thread starter macrumors regular

Got it. So deleting the account really doesn't change anything if I have the same email address setup through google?

Thanks guys

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Once upon a time Gmail offered Exchange service. You can't do gmail as Exchange on your iPhone now, unless you had it prior to them discontinuing the service. It sounds like you've had it set up for a long time.

6. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

More for someone who may stumble upon this beside op who won't use it seems but....

this feature may not work if their organizations admins turn off syncing on the exchange servers. I as dictated by bosses turn this off on my exchange environment settings.

You need a 3rd party apps we pay to run a server to do this. Or....find one of many mail apps that bypass this somehow. Case of the former we support it. You have questions we have answers. Case of the latter, no business obligation to support.

7. dubs83 thread starter macrumors regular

I had no idea I set up my email through the exchange server. I assume it doesn't change anything if I delete the account so I'll just do that.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Nope. It won't change a thing.