What is expected of the next rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taptic, Apr 5, 2015.

1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

So, I'm considering purchasing a new rMBP and, if it sounded good enough, I could wait until late summer to get the new one (that's when it's expected, right?). I don't really understand what the next one will have thats going to be so amazing though...

Can someone explain it in laymen terms and what it might do compared to the current 13"?

2. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

If you need it now why wait till next year? Of course next year will be better. No one other than Apple knows exactly what will be new.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

They just updated the 13", Id go get one. The next update with Skylake will bring DDR4 RAM, wireless charging (maybe), USB-C and also a case redesign (maybe).

4. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

I realize this. Just considering things before I go ahead with such a large investment. And I'm not too pressured on time anyway.

So I've been hearing about this quite a bit. People referring to "Skylake" or "new architecture" etc. Any super simple explanation for what this means? and how much better it could make what? I'm a noob as far as actual internal workings of a computer go.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Their statements are based on the premise of Skylake being the next "tock" as opposed to "tick".

Ticks are accompanied with die shrinks. Tocks are tweaks to those die shrinks where users have typically seen the biggest gains. i.e: Nehalem was a "tock" and, as an aside, is arguably the one "tock" that has seen Intel advance farther than any other "tock" in recent years. It was leaps and bounds ahead of Penryn. Both in power consumption as well as single/multicore performance. It was also the first generation of CPU that saw Intel put the memory controller within the CPU. Probably the single biggest cause of those performance gains, IMO.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In simple terms...

It means it'll be about 5-10% faster than this years offering for the processor. And maybe 10-20% faster on Graphics, this is extrapolating average speed increases for intel generation to generation over the last 4 years or so. So games get a few more fps at similar settings, and some apps will perform a little faster. We may also finally see some quad core mobile core i5's at a lower TDP than we have seen before.

So for you, who I am guessing has basic needs (those with specific, performance based needs, should learn the hardware needs of their software) it will make little to no difference. I would say go for one of the current ones and have the pleasure of a super-fast little retina mac for the next year.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

More gigahertz, less watts and all that jazz.

Usually with computers, if you have to ask, you don't need it.

----------

My thoughts exactly. If you need better hardware, chances are you already know you do.

8. bbbrisco macrumors newbie

The thing making me consider waiting for Skylake is support for the new DisplayPort standard (1.3?). This should allow use of an external 5k monitor, which would be a feature I'd really like (eventually). Likely it will need to be paired with a fairly beefy video card with more RAM as well.

9. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

You can always resell this year if next year appeals you to upgrade ;). At lease you've got to use and enjoy the latest for a year.

10. duervo, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Except 8K displays will be out by then! :eek: Which is most likely what will be touted along with the release of any Mac that has Skylake in it. Cat and mouse will never be over. The day after it's current, something else will come along, as it always has.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I doubt that

The broadwells in the 13 inch can run 2 4K displays. I am pretty sure it could run a 5K if it had the 1.3 DP standard. dGPU and will not be needed for 5K on the next generation processors, and RAM has literally no impact on it at all.