What is faster safari or Internet Explorer

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Well considering there is no version of IE for Mac (MS declared they would not support IE Mac a few years back) I'd say Safari. :rolleyes:

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
Firefox!

Oh wait, what were the choices?

Actually, for me, it goes (on my Mac);

Firefox
Camino
Safari
IE :eek:

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
On the Mac it's not even worth asking--IE hasn't been updated in years and is dog-slow in comparison to any current browser. It was fast in comparison to Netscape 4, but that's hardly saying much.

If you're comparing Safari to IE6 on Windows, then I'd say it's generally a wash, although there are a handful of sites I've seen that realy drag IE6 down, while others seem unnaturally quick.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Safari is fast enough. It may seem a little slower than other browsers, but that is just a minor difference in rendering methods (Safari waits until enough data is there to render the whole page; other browsers render as data comes in).

IE on Mac - slow
IE on Windows - better, but not as fast as Firefox on Windows.

Basically, don't use IE. Unless you absolutely have to.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's pretty safe to say that IE 6.0 on the PC is consistently faster than Safari, however, that's a pretty lame statement considering they're two different browsers on two different operating systems.

If Safari isn't fast enough, then you need to upgrade that internet connection. For most things, it is considered the fastest browser on the Mac. :)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
Are you really going to notice a huge difference in them? Just pick one that satisfies your requirements. I don't think you're going to gain an extra 10 minutes out of the day because you use a browser that may be faster than another one. :rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's more a problem with buying a customised Dell through Safari. So unless you added 512MB of RAM to the 2005FPW, you probably wouldn't have noticed anything. :D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yep, that's safari. twice as fast as firefox. yep.

love apple to death, but they're just liars when it comes to graphs.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Safari is definitely faster than IE. That said, the slowest browser I have used is Netscape 7, that thing takes more processing power just run the bloat-ware attached to it, without even loading a page, than Safari uses to load 10 pages simultaneously.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I had to put IE on my mac the other day to communicate with XM Radio's horrible website (adding a second subscription; the page would not render at all in firefox and it was broken in Safari). Yecch. And you're crazy to use IE on a PC as well-- get Firefox.

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
mad jew said:
If Safari isn't fast enough, then you need to upgrade that internet connection. For most things, it is considered the fastest browser on the Mac. :)
I can't agree with that. Safari seems great at first, but it seems to get slower and slower as you continue using it. I really like Safari, but I've gone back to trying out FireFox because even on my 2GHz G5 iMac with 1GB of RAM, at a certain point Safari bogs down when it comes to things like switch between it and a different app, or back to it from a different app. It also seems to just slow down things in general for me.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I find it plenty fast enough. If it starts to slow down, resetting it should really help. I agree that it's really not good enough to have to keep resetting an app to keep it up to speed, but I don't personally have a problem with it (the slow down). :)

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Actually the reason to use Firefox is for all the great plugins. Firefox is plenty fast enough, I won't suggest it smacks down Safari but I just have to have the ability to remove/block advertisements/flash and the bugmenot plugin is brilliant.