Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, last week I got a friend request from a young cute girl. From her friend list, she only have less than 10 friends but two of my friends are on that list. I accepted the request. I tried to ask who she is for the past few days. I keep getting "This person isn't available right now". From the net, it seems that it means that she blocked me. Does that mean it is a fake account trying to get information about me?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello, last week I got a friend request from a young cute girl. From her friend list, she only have less than 10 friends but two of my friends are on that list. I accepted the request. I tried to ask who she is for the past few days. I keep getting "This person isn't available right now". From the net, it seems that it means that she blocked me. Does that mean it is a fake account trying to get information about me?
You are getting that message where/how exactly?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
When I tried to send her a message asking who she is. Happened both when I did it via Messanger on iPhone and through the FB webpage.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
She's not a young cute girl. She's most likely an ugly old man ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why don't you ask your two friends - who are also on listed as this person's "friends" - who "she" is?
I remember a couple of years ago I got a friend invite from someone I hand't known but was friends with a couple of others. I asked one friend and he had no clue, he just accepted the invite. At that point I denied the request.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I remember a couple of years ago I got a friend invite from someone I hand't known but was friends with a couple of others. I asked one friend and he had no clue, he just accepted the invite. At that point I denied the request.

I'm not on FB, so this stuff passes me by.

However, I am on LinkedIn, and I do get such requests, but the emphasis tends to be professional, not personal.

In general, anyway, before I accept anything, I will check their profile. Oftentimes, it transpires that they had worked with one time colleagues of mine, - with whom they were already connected - or had worked in an area with which I am familiar, or with which colleagues were familiar.

In such cases, I will usually - but, not always - accept the request to 'connect'.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not on FB, so this stuff passes me by.

However, I am on LinkedIn, and I do get such requests, but the emphasis tends to be professional, not personal.
I took time off of FB, but I'm back on, though my usage has been severely curtailed. I also found a browser plugin that allows me to filter out all political stuff that drove me off FB. I hardly post on there but I found it useful to keep in contact with friends.

I have a LinkedIn account but I can't tell you the last time I logged in (read years).

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

Same story few years ago. That person was a friend of about 10 of my FB friends. I asked them who that is. Nobody knew!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I took time off of FB, but I'm back on, though my usage has been severely curtailed. I also found a browser plugin that allows me to filter out all political stuff that drove me off FB. I hardly post on there but I found it useful to keep in contact with friends.

I have a LinkedIn account but I can't tell you the last time I logged in (read years).

I find LinkedIn useful professionally: Most of my 'connections' are international colleagues, - quite a number of them individuals with whom I have worked in various capacities abroad.

We loosely keep in touch, and it is an excellent way of getting a 'heads-up' about a new country, or organisation. Someone with whom you worked - and got on well with - in a different country will usually give good advice - or can advise on some of the organisations you may be seeking positions with.

I have written to former colleagues - and some have written to me - asking advice and suggestions.

For the other corporate nonsense, I simply ignore.

FB, I don't "get" at any level, and don't have an account.

Same story few years ago. That person was a friend of about 10 of my FB friends. I asked them who that is. Nobody knew!

Well, as I suggested a few posts ago, ask your friends who have been befriended by - or have sought to befriend - this person whether they know her. If they don't, well, then, you have a decision to make

My recommendation would be to let it go, especially if your friends say that they do not know this individual personally.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
While I was going to ask my friends who that is, that person disappeared from my friend list. Cannot find her under mutual friend list of my friend. This is getting doggy.Perhaps that person befriend with me to get some information. After getting those information, left.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I was going to ask my friends who that is, that person disappeared from my friend list. Cannot find her under mutual friend list of my friend. This is getting doggy.Perhaps that person befriend with me to get some information. After getting those information, left.

Well, if this continues to bother you, - and why? - I daresay that you may remember the name, or username used by this person; anyway, I would suggest that you ask your own "friends" if they remember "her", ask how they had become "friends" the first place, and point out that this person appears to have disappeared.

But - I am at a loss as to why someone would accept a "friend" request without - to be perfectly frank - doing some due diligence in advance.

Personally, I wouldn't, irrespective of how "cute" they seemed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.