what is 'file directory'?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 124c41, Mar 6, 2010.

1. 124c41 macrumors member

my crapple suddenly decided to start dl'ing to someplace called file directory and won't stop... mrgoogle tells me nothing useful...
    the box on extraction will not uncheck to allow the files to go to downloads , is this another wonderful crapple feature thats not advertised for some reason?
    where are the files and how do i get to them to move them to downloads?
    thanks...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you really expect help with that attitude and the amount of information you haven't given us?

For example, what Mac do you use, what Mac OS X version is on it, and what browser do you work with?

Also can you be more descriptive or even make a screen shot of the error message?
    And what do you want to download?

What happens if you click the SHOW IN FINDER loupe icon in the Downloads window?

Normally, as you already know, Safari downloads go into the Downloads folder, but Firefox uses the Desktop and Opera uses Downloads too I guess.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

My thought exactly. If this is as per usual, the problem is not the machine.

4. 124c41 thread starter macrumors member

10.6.2SL
    no screenshot
    it keeps sending the down loads to someplace called file directory and won't stop even when i check extract to downloads...

"What happens if you click the SHOW IN FINDER loupe icon in the Downloads window?"
    no such thing exists...

firefox 3.5.8
    it is stupid random **** like this that makes me hate my IMAC...
    no explanations in any of the helps and a search in spotlight takes me to my bookmarks files... thanks

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you haven't looked into the Firefox preferences yet and set the downloads folder yourself?

You can also right click in the Downloads window to select SHOW IN FINDER.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343-keyboard - shortcuts

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What makes you hate your iMac is the fact that you don't fully understand what you're doing. It's not the iMac's fault. There is something happening that you don't understand. You don't even know enough to fully and clearly explain the problem, so people can help you. Instead, you throw a tantrum and blame it on anything but the user's lack of understanding, which is the real culprit. Take a deep breath. Calm down. Explain the situation clearly and completely. Then be patient and let people answer you.

7. 124c41 thread starter macrumors member

went to pref in ff , 'save to downloads' was checked...
    the box that pops up on extraction indicates they are going someplace called 'file directory'...
    spotlight and mrgoogle do nothing...
    will check the above links to see if there are any useful ideas... thanks

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you please be more specific?
    The links I gave are just so you can learn your way around Mac OS X and don't view it as another Windows version.

You make screen shots via CMD+SHIFT+4 and then select the area you want to shoot.

As far as I understand, the file gets successfully download - what file btw - and you can see it in Finder - in what folder? - but upon extraction - what file type? - you get an error or some other kind of message, where you don't know what to do?

Is that right or wrong?

If it is wrong, please take more time to explain yourself, unless you can't.

The following is taken from the thread titled "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006. It contains more elaborate information on the short extracts I took from it and should help you in finding appropriate help. I also made some additions after finding that thread.

1. Search for threads or guides containing similar problems.
      MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.
    2. Start your thread in the appropriate forum or sub-forum.
      Here is the forum's main page with the list of all the sub-fora found here.
    3. Use a specific thread title.
      "Need help!!!!???? ASAP!!!" and its variants are not specific.
    4. Find and post machine hardware and software configurations.
      You can find out more about your Mac by going to the Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info ... (this button opens Applications / Utilities / System Profiler) > Hardware Overview.
    5. Tell us your problem, and be specific. What is happening to your machine?
      What Mac OS X version and what Mac do you use, ... .
    6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
    7. What have you already tried?
    8. Respond to all posted advice with details of what happened.
    9. Be wary of the (very) occasional bad advice.
    10. Be patient.
    11. Be courteous.