What is Firefox - Minefield

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by star555, Jul 17, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

First I have to say I am not well versed when it comes to using Firefox, Ive just come across this article about a Browser called '' Minefield '' which seems to be some how based on Firefox, can some one please explain just what this '' Minefield '' is ...? and is it in any way better to run than the normal Firefox version.

http://babygotmac.com/a/browser-bonanza-intel-optimized-firefox-available/

Thanks

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

the "minefield" name was (is?) given to pre-release versions of firefox.

ie. the builds of firefox 3 during it's development were known as minefield, as it was probable you were going to find problems/"issues" ~ hence minefield :)

regular users probably have no reason to run the minefield versions, unless you like to be on the bleeding edge of browser development.

i beleive firefox was updated to 3.01 over the last few days. this is the version you want.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

4. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guy's .. it looks as if I won't be going down the Minefield route
    after all :)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

After firefox 2.0, minefield is adopted as codename for all trunk build, trunk is main developing repo for firefox.

Whenever trunk reaches certain goals and somewhat ready for the release of next version of firefox, mozilla folks will do a fork of it, called branching, branch(ed) build will be giving a codename as well since they are not final, for branch of firefox 3, its called grand paradiso.

Eventually, when its officially released, Its called firefox.

Minefield is where developers add all the stuff in, its bleeding edge, but can be unstable at times, so its for test purpose only and I would not recommend general users to use it.

Currently, the trunk is targeting firefox 3.1 (gecko 1.9.1), code freeze is imminent, and stability is ok.

Be careful also, that the name minefield is quite freely used in many private builds that may from gecko 1.9 branch, or 1.9.1 trunk. further, its also used for the test build of firefox 4, which currently is in no shape of serious day 2 day usage.