What is flashing and taping and why is it needed?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by poiihy, Mar 12, 2015.

1. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I hear a lot about "flashing" and "taping" of graphics cards in the forum.
    I think I know what flashing is, it's when you replace the firmware of a PC graphics card with the Mac version so you can use in Mac, but I'd like some more info of this. And why is there a different card for Mac or PC? Is it because Mac uses OpenFirmware and PC uses BIOS?
    Taping is when you put a piece of tape on a pin(s) of the graphics card so it doesn't make contact, but why do you need to tape it?
    Also, can someone make a list of all the graphics cards that can be used in PPC Macs?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Flashing - correct. They make different Mac and PC versions for a couple of reasons, 1) to save end users from flashing their own cards 2) PowerMacs used proprietary ADC ports for cinema displays for a while. The manufacturers would usually prefer the firmware and tools don't go public.

Taping - Apple used AGP pins 3 and 11 for ADC signals. Wintel PC makers later used then for a different purpose - faster AGP 8x. The two are not compatible, taping them up insulates the connectors and runs the card in AGP 4x mode.

3. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

What cards work in PPC Macs and what cards do and don't need to be taped? All cards that are not 8x don't need to be taped?