What is going on here?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by DuFFy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. DuFFy macrumors regular

I was browsing eBay for MobileMe and i stumbled upon this auction. I dont know anything about the contents of the box you buy the activation code in but does this auction not have the code in the picture or am i wrong in thinking that set of letters and numbers is the activation code???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mobile-Me...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

couldnt just anyone copy the code and activate with it, then whoever wins the auction is getting screwed?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

4. DuFFy thread starter macrumors regular

wow, i couldnt let myself believe they were that stupid, and people are bidding on it

5. macgrl macrumors 65816

That is just not a smart thing to do. I wonder when he will realize :)

6. DuFFy thread starter macrumors regular

probably when the winning bidder emails them complaining that the activation doesnt work and they want a refund.

would there be anything they could do? like im sure someone already saw this and tried it, hell i'd be tempted if i was an *******..

update: I just emailed the seller, hopefully he can change the pictures before someone uses it.

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

I am sure that if the buyer explained what happened then they should get a refund. I am sure that the seller will be very embarrassed. If all it takes is the code, there no point in shipping the box, I presume that seller will just email over the code? Oh well, it has amused me.

8. DuFFy thread starter macrumors regular

most auction's ship the sealed MobileMe box, so a buyer knows it hasnt been used. i wouldnt trust any of the auctions that just email you the code, because you take that chance that its already been used and have no real solid method of proving you didnt use it to the seller to get your money back or to prove the seller knew.

this is just stupid though, i feel bad for whoever wins and doesnt realize they most likely are buying a box and piece of paper.

9. Pooshka macrumors 65816

10. macgrl macrumors 65816

Just a thought but do you think that the picture is of a mobileme product he has already used and that he is actually going to give out another copy of mobile me albeit in an open box. This way it would work to whoever he sent it to. LOL I just can't believe anyone can be that stupid...ok I can :)

11. DuFFy thread starter macrumors regular

well there yah go. the seller is probably kicking themselves for giving away a 100 dollar product for free.

i thought about that but he should at least say that in the auction so the bidders know its still good, anyone lookin for mobileMe i would think is aware enough to realize what he is showing in the picture

12. DuFFy thread starter macrumors regular

so here it is:

from the seller:

wow. </thread>

13. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Lecture??? :rolleyes:

14. DuFFy thread starter macrumors regular

haha. at least they dont sound too upset about it. id be pissed and looking for a way to find out who used my code

15. macgrl macrumors 65816

16. Pooshka macrumors 65816

If I'm not mistaken, one can call MobileMe support and report a code stolen with sufficient proof.

17. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

yes, but can it really be considered "stolen" if one willingly puts it on the Internet for all the world to see?

18. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

Yes. If you use the LifeLock's guys SSN that he flashes on the screen, I assure you, you will be prosecuted.