What is going on w/my Wireless N? (AEBS)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by srexy, Jun 16, 2009.

1. srexy macrumors 6502a

I've got a 10/100 AEBS (pre-gigabit) wireless N AEBS but am experiencing horrible throughput.

Here's the setup in detail.

- AEBS v7.4.1 running in bridge mode for an Actiontech (Verizon Fios) wireless G router. IP address is static. The two routers are connected via ethernet cable
    - Airport Express v7.3.2 acting as a wireless extender
    - Early 09 Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz 4gb ram (usually on Wireless N network). IP address is static.
    - late 06 MBP 2.33Ghz (usually Wireless N network)
    - XP Pro PC ripping/encoding drone (Wireless G only hooked to Actiontech)

I've tried the AEBS both in 5ghz only mode and 2.4ghz mode w/channels 6/5 and I'm getting horrible throughput to my Mini. A 1.3gb file is reporting over an hour to copy and speedtest is showing my internet connection as less than 2Mb/s up 3Mb/s down whereas it's a 15/5. The kicker - when I switch over to my Wireless G network I'm seeing 20mins for the same 1.3gb file and Speedtest is close to advertised speeds.

This issue seems to be isolated to my Mini - the MBP gets pretty good speedtest results. But as the Mini is my media server I need it to be snappy!

Can anyone throw out some ideas as to what might be happening?

thanks.

2. srexy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Think I've figured it out. Thanks for the swift responses :rolleyes:

Happened once before and I altered the settings - in the 5Ghz mode for some reason it was set to wide channels which although allegedly able to enhance speed by all accounts will reduce speed. I'd unchecked the option but for some reason it had reverted back to the old setting. I'll make a mental note to look at that first in the future.

3. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I'm glad you figured it out because I couldn't figure it out. :)

Thanks for posting the solution!

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

You waited less than 3 hours for a response, obviously you didn't need help too bad if you figured it out in that time frame! :rolleyes: :p

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I couldn't figure it out either and I know my AEBS back to front but I'm glad you got it sorted out. Some of those little things will sneak up on you with Airports, one little mistake and the whole thing is down. I fought with my first gen Airport express (it's really buggy anyday) for days only to find out that I hadn't allowed its MAC access on my Extreme...