Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
Hello!
I really want to take the leap from GarageBand to Logic Pro. So I was going to buy the educational version of Logic Pro, but then I noticed that version 7 was first released in late 2004 (!) and the newest update (7.2) came out in Spetember of last year. This seems a little long in the tooth to me... Does anyone know of any credible rumors of a new version coming out soon? I really want the program, but I dont want to be kicking myself because I bought a non-upgradeable $500 software package if a new one is coming out in a month. I've already purchased a Focusrite Saffire LE, and I am just pondering what to do next...

Any help or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Hicks

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2007
Bristol, UK
Many of us have been waiting a LONG time for Logic Pro 8 and each time we think something may come up, it doesn't. My own personal feeling is that we wont see the new product until the release of OSX Leopard in October although I have my fingers crossed for an earlier launch. But, what do I know?!

Based around your circumstances, my suggestion to you would be to buy Logic Express 7. It's a lighter version of Pro but is still very powerful. I have two reasons for this, Logic Pro is a massive application and can be incredibly challenging for someone coming up from GarageBand, I don't mean to be patronising there but it's a hugh leap. Logic Express is almost the same as pro and will be a big leap on it's own. But...this is my second point, it will be much cheaper than Pro and, if Logic Pro 8 comes up, you will have lost less money.

Hope that helps

Rob

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I totally agree with Rob Hicks. If you're moving up from Garageband Logic Express will be plenty of extra power for your needs. Logic Pro is a studio level app for real hardcore setups. Most musicians will find Express does everything they need it to.

Rob Hicks

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2007
Bristol, UK
Thinking about it, buying the full retail version of Logic Express will not only be much cheaper than Logic Pro, it will give you an upgrade path to Logic Pro 8 when it comes out (or Logic Express 8 if there will be such an app). Thought I'd chuck that one in. Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.