What is good network hardware?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by antiwindows, Sep 25, 2010.

1. antiwindows macrumors newbie

New to apple and loving it. Started 4/2010
    I have my house network wired for a gigabit backbone with cat6. In my window days and now I have Modem>>router with all peripherals hooked up to a Netgear GS108 8 port Switch. Also have a Linksys access point. All worked great until about a month ago my router died. (Lynksys)

Since replacing the router (D-Link) I have intermittent lock ups with the internet using Safari or Chrome. When I hook the modem directly to the IMac woks great. When I replace the router, my son using his macBook could not use the wireless cause the password stopped working. I tried to get into the Access Point with the software I have and its not Apple compatible, so I can't reconfigure it.

I would like to get recommendations for home network hardware that works with apple? I don't mind replacing/upgrading my hardware.
    Footnote; I have Ruko: Sony Blueray: and UNRAID: hooked to the switch.

Thanks for any help.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Have you tried using Mozilla Firefox to configure the accesspoint instead of safari as I assume it is a http-based configure?

3. antiwindows thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I use a TPLink router with Linux on it, that fixed all the issues that I had with my Macs since Apple broke the wireless stack in Snow Leopard (everything has always worked rather nicely before OS X 10.6).

5. belvdr macrumors 603

What did they break? I have never had an issue with my Mac systems over wireless.

6. antiwindows thread starter macrumors newbie

even last night I had The IMAC wired to the D-Linkrouter and after 2-4 pages on the internet, internet locks up. but if I go directly to the modem all is good,

7. mh530 macrumors newbie

There's always the Airport Extreme.
    For switches, I like the HP ProCurver 1810g-8 and -24. They are fanless gigabit but have web setup and will let you do port based config, VLANS, etc

8. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Yeah I haven't had any wireless problems with my MBP running 10.6. My Droid X on the other hand can't say the same. :p