what is gps like on a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rxl125, May 18, 2008.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

Does it talk to you like other GPS systems?
    Will it be an extra feature you have to pay for?

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Well, on the Helio Ocean, it comes with Google Maps installed. Google Maps you can always jump to your current location with a single button press, do searches for stuff in the area just like on the normal iPhone, and get visual directions from where you are, that update as you drive them. On the Ocean, you can pay a monthly fee for a different program that has voice directions (I haven't tried it so don't know how good it is).

Another thing GPS allows, the Ocean has a program where you can tell it which friends have Oceans as well, and then you can see where are all your friends are on the map. It'd be great for finding eachother in the mall and stuff, or just see if any of your friends are nearby, if you could convince all your friends to buy the same phone you did :)

3. El Magnificante macrumors member

Let me be the first to thank you for searching first.

Yes and, if you want that, yes. :apple:

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Voice directions ... sweet .... can't wait for it to come to Canada.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm not sure at all, but whenever iPhone gets it, I assume it'll be integrated with Google Maps. One of the features you'll instantly love is having all your contacts stored. My car's GPS (which was $100 in November) can only store two -- home and work. I can input any address I want, but that's a little more tedious than calling up a contact. It also does points of interest, but the iPhone's integration with the Internet blows that away.

I do hope it's in the next version, but GPS is a battery hog. Mine is always plugged up because the battery might last an hour without it. I assume the iPhone would have an off switch.

6. aman29 macrumors newbie

oh man i cant wait
    if the new iphone has gps i will definitely get it even though i have tmobile

7. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Nobody really has any idea. That'd be nifty if it did, though.

Again, nobody really has any idea if it'll even be included, although it is pretty much universally accepted that it will. And if it is, nobody can really say how it will work or what payments will be like for it.

Please realize that no matter how much people try to convince you about what features will or won't be included in the next iPhone, it's all just speculation until His Steveness yanks one of the buggers out of his pocket sometime after now.

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

One thing to keep in mind - the current third-party-developer SDK allows access to the iPhone Location stuff, so anybody can make any program that accesses your location. Chances are if an iPhone with GPS comes out, it will use the same iPhone Location stuff, so I could see one of the professional mapping companies (like TomTom) releasing a full GPS navigation system with voice for it, eventually at least.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

GPS on a phone can be handy but just remember that its first priority is to be a phone and not a full featured GPS. An iphone won't be, and probably won't ever be as good as a dedicated GPS device. A lot of people set their expectations too high and flood the boards with complaints about bonus features.

10. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I agree, which is why I decided to go ahead and purchase a Garmin unit. I have friends with GPS on their phones, and it is a battery hog.

Jude

11. El Magnificante macrumors member

How long does your Garmin battery last whilst you're out and about?

12. born2win413 macrumors member

born2win413

If Apple made a software like TomTom Mobiles, then I would gladly pay whatever price it is, can't be more then $100 though...but knowing Apple's softwares then chances are it is, so I'm rooting for a third party developers or something.