What is Grandfathered mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nyy8, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

So I have unlimited data on my Verizon iPhone 4 (16GB). Everyone keeps saying unlimited data is grandfathered. What does that mean?

2. pcgolfer85 macrumors member

pcgolfer85

It means if you were lucky enough to sign up for unlimited data then you get to keep it.

3. Centient macrumors 6502

Being "grandfathered" into something generally means that the previously existing rules or terms that you originally signed up for continue apply to you. Whereas someone who is coming in new will have to abide by the new rules.

In this case it means that you won't be forced into the tiered data plans because you have been a customer with the unlimited data plan before the tiered plans went into effect.

Understand though that in this case we're still at the mercy of VZ and if they ever decide to drop the unlimited altogether we may one day be 'forced' into accepting a tiered plan. Probably wouldn't apply to anyone mid-contract though. Most likely at renewal time.

4. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Next Question, When i upgrade my phone. Maybe iphone 4s or 5, will i still get my "grandfathered" Unlimited Data Plan?

5. Centient macrumors 6502

VZ has said that "grandfathering" will carry over to a new phone purchase. So I would assume you'd be okay. Again, this is entirely at the whims of VZ.

Though I'd guess if you buy a new iPhone this fall you'd be okay. I'm hoping the same is true for an iPhone 6 or whatever, but who knows...

6. itsalexaye macrumors regular

i doubt that it will stay like that, I think about 2-3 months after the next iphone is out they will cut that out.

So when you upgrade you must get a tiered data plan!

7. Centient macrumors 6502

My guess is that once an LTE iPhone hits there's a good chance VZ will ditch the grandfathered status. Though it's all just guess work, and if Sprint has an iPhone and is offering unlimited data still, that might factor into VZ and AT&T's decision as well.

Again, all speculation as VZ holds the cards.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

All hearsay at the moment but, yeah, when VZ/ATT both get their LTE/4G networks up and running at full speed, they'll try and force all users to switch over. My guess is that those with grandfathered unlimited data plans will be able to keep them but only use it on the 3G network. IF they want to get LTE/4G then they'll need to switch to a tiered plan.

Or they just might say screw it and make everyone switch to a tiered plan whether they like it or not.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ask your grandmother. This is a family forum. :D

10. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Neither Verizon nor any other network provider can't force you to switch - you signed a 2-year contract with them, and as part of that contract you got unlimited data plan. What they can do is:

1. When it's time to renew your contract, no longer give you an option of unlimited data. You can decide to go somewhere else, or sign a new contract.

2. Change your contract terms and switch you to tiered plan - that means though that you have a right to cancel the contract all together without any penalty (early termination fee), as there was a change to the original terms.

In either case, you have an option.

Polbit