What is group messaging in os 4.0 beta 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ipad3g, May 19, 2010.

1. ipad3g macrumors member

hey i just updated to os 4.0 beta 4. Under the messaging option they have a toggle to enable group messaging.

I turned it on and sent a text to two people at one time (in one chat log), it showed up as an mms. I had both of them reply to me, but the reply's came in a separate texts/chat logs. I thought group texting would make both reply's come in the same chat log. So can someone please explain what group messaging is? Thanks

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I'm trying to figure this one out too...

3. ipad3g thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, well i still don't know yet. I mean i work for at&t and i know we have a new feature on our phones Samsung sunburst and Samsung strive, and were going to have it on all of our upcoming phones. Its pretty much like texting in a chat room style.

ATT thinks it'll be really big in about a years time, because all phones will support this new type of text messaging. Pretty much you send a msg to 10 of your friends, when anyone of them reply's all of you get the text. Like a chat room.

But i wonder if the new iphone will support this, i wonder if this is what group messaging is?

Anyone have any other ideas?

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I HOPE this is what it is! And I hope that you're right that it is coming to AT&T! I have been wanting this, it sounds like a great idea.

5. outphase macrumors 65816

I received an MMS from someone who sent to 3 people total. In my "To" line, I can see everyone who was sent the message. If I reply, it appears that I'll send a mass MMS back to the others.

Think of it as giving your recipients the ability to Reply All instead of just Reply to the sender.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I tried sending a text to multiple people and had someone send me a text to multiple people yesterday but it didn't work any differently than before. We didn't try an MMS. Do all the people need to be on 4.0?

Are we sure this doesn't just mean you can select an already-created contact group to send a mass txt to?

7. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

best way to find out would maybe contact developer support from Apple at developer.apple.com IMO.