What is Growl?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robotrenegade, Apr 20, 2011.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I opened system prefs today and I see a new icon. What is Growl and how did it get there?

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's a notification app. Quite a few apps come with it nowadays. No need to remove it since it's very useful actually.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's a notification system. Something you installed uses it to notify you of events.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's a notification program. My guess is that you recently installed CS5 or something from Adobe, as it is a hidden install with CS5 for sure, possibly others.

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Growl is a notifications system. Can't say how it got there for sure but it is often installed with other programs to enhance their functionality (e.g. Dropbox; 3G modem connection software etc.)

More info here:
    http://growl.info/thirdpartyinstallations.php

EDIT: I agree with Hellhammer. No need to remove - it's very useful.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's also installed with DropBox sometimes. It's one of those alert dialogues you just click "yes" to.

7. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the fast response. I don't have CS5 only CS4.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's how I got it, it must be from another program you installed recently. I didn't realize that a lot of programs are including it now as well.

9. Austinjwalker macrumors member

10. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

I guess I didn't shake my malware paranoia when I left Windows.. I kept seeing "an update is available for Growl" popping up in the upper right hand corner.. After a few weeks of this I blew it away - certainly looked fishy to me since I had no clue whatsoever where it came from.

That being said, after blowing it away I decided to research a bit and I believe it came with the last firefox update, but I could be wrong. Seems like it's a legitimate program that I may need someday but for now I'm getting along without it.

11. Detosx macrumors regular

Whether or not it is integral to the smooth function and updating of applications that support it, it's quite an eye opener when Little Snitch flags up a dialogue boxing saying something called Growl is trying to communicate with... I went with a disingenuous 'How did that get on my computer without an opt out box appearing during install?' (Photoshop trial) and uninstalled it.