What is happening here? cached sound?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dantastic, Feb 9, 2011.

1. dantastic macrumors 6502a

dantastic

I've a timer and at the end of it an alarm.

The alarm sits in a function like this:

Code:
    - (void) soundAlarm {
    	[alarmTimer invalidate];
    	alarmTimer = nil;
    	SystemSoundID sound;
    	AudioServicesCreateSystemSoundID((CFURLRef)[NSURL fileURLWithPath:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"ALARM" ofType:@"WAV"]], &sound);
    	AudioServicesPlaySystemSound (sound); 	
    }

The first time the alarm sounds it's off by 0.5 sec or so. Any subsequent call to this function and there is no delay.

I have tried to put the
    Code:
    AudioServicesCreateSystemSoundID((CFURLRef)[NSURL fileURLWithPath:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"ALARM" ofType:@"WAV"]], &sound);
    In the initialization code and just call the PlaySound from my function but the result is the same.

In the function above though, I'm not retaining anything so I should have to create the sound every time, no?

I can accept a delay, but why is there no delay the second & 3rd time I sound the alarm?

Is there any way of making this a bit more consistent? Perhaps playing the sound in the initialization code but in mute, can I do that?

2. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

The NSTimer has a delay the first time an instance is called. You could do a self performSelector in your viewDidLoad to get that first fire out of the way. There would be a random alarm sound though.

Where are you firing the timer from? Button? viewDidLoad?

You could probably do some kind of switch case statement where case 1 is
    Code:
    [alarmTimer invalidate];
    	alarmTimer = nil;
    and all other cases are
    Code:
    SystemSoundID sound;
    	AudioServicesPlaySystemSound (sound); 
    [alarmTimer invalidate];
    	alarmTimer = nil;

3. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

dantastic

So it's the timer firing that's causing this.

I'm firing from a button with this when the button is pressed
    Code:
    alarmTimer = [NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:(countdownSeconds) 
    				target:self selector:@selector(soundAlarm) userInfo:nil repeats:NO];

The first time I press the button there's a 0.5 delay. any subsequent press and there's no delay.

Could I do a
    Code:
    alarmTimer = [NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.0 
    				target:self selector:@selector(doNothingFunction) userInfo:nil repeats:NO];

in my viewDidLoad? you think that would cure the lag? :D

4. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

Yeah that might work.

To make sure the timer is the reason for the delay put a NSLog at the end of your timer and see if it shows on the console after a delay.

If you are firing from a button push IBAction then put the code to play the sound in that method, not at the end of the timer... unless you mean that there is a delay after ( countdownSeconds ) ?

If the delay is after the countdownSeconds a hacky fix could be...
    Code:
    -(void)viewDidLoad{
        alarmTimer = [NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:.02 
    				target:self selector:@selector(soundAlarm) userInfo:nil repeats:NO];
    }
     -(void)soundAlarm{
       switch(){
         case1://no sound
    break; 
         case2://sound
    break; 
         case3://sound... this could work unless you fire the method a bizillion times 
    break; 
          default:
        break; 
    }
    }
    but I'd try the (doNothingFunction) first.

Nick

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, I've experienced something similar with the sound playing a bit delayed the first time. Even if you create the system sound earlier, there seems to be a hitch the first time it's played. Turning down the volume while playing the sound during init seems to be a plausible workaround. You should try it out.

6. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

dantastic

I've done some more testing now.

1) Added some NSLogging. The timer is actually firing accurately enough. It's the sound playing that is delayed the first time.

2) I did set the timer to fire against a 'doNothing' function in my viewDidLoad but as expected with the result from test 1 that didn't do anything at all.

I suspect Apple won't be cool about me fiddling with the volume up and down in my app so I need to find a way of playing this without it being played. on the iPhone, is there something like /dev/null I can use to play my sound to or how would I go about playing it?

7. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

I see.

The delay occurs the first time with AudioServicesPlaySystemSound. In that case, create a short soundless audio track to play in your viewDidLoad. This will get that first fire out of the way silently. :cool:

8. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

dantastic

Aaah! Good thinking 99!

Code:
    AudioServicesCreateSystemSoundID((CFURLRef)[NSURL fileURLWithPath:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"SILENCE" ofType:@"WAV"]], &alarm); 
    	AudioServicesPlaySystemSound (alarm); 
    	AudioServicesCreateSystemSoundID((CFURLRef)[NSURL fileURLWithPath:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"ALARM" ofType:@"WAV"]], &alarm);

Playing one sec of silence in the viewDidLoad solved it. sneaky!

:D