What Is / How Do I Do a "Symbolic Link?"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamesmcnee, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jamesmcnee macrumors member

I want to share one Mac Address Book betwen two users and would rather not use the .mac solution.

I asked a question here and one of the posts directed me to:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...41202101923651

I'm a bit concerned that this advice is almost four years old and no one seems to have tried but I figure I'll give it a go.

I have an external HD with a partition with the permissions marked as suggested but then I get to the advice:

"make a symbolic link from the new location of the master Address Book folder. Symbolic links are made in the Terminal: ln -s path_origin path_alias."

And I have no idea what this is or how I would do it. Do I just open terminal and type that line?

I can barely spell USB -- is this symbolic link solution too techy for me? Or can someone talk me through.

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, yo need to replace path_origin and path_alias with the correct paths for whatever you are trying to do.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

'ln' is a UNIX terminal command that is similar to MacOS's Aliases, but it appears as though it is the real file.

Follow the directions, substituting the actual locations for path origin and path alias.

TEG

4. myca macrumors 6502