What is iGoogle ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tangerineyum, Apr 30, 2007.

1. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

so my friend uses a ton of google services and she just brought this to my attention. What is iGoogle ? if i go to google.com it shows nothing, but when you login to your google homepage it shows this... and a google search for igoogle takes you to some shareware program. was this always there and she just didnt notice it ?

Attached Files:

2. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

here is what I found,

"IGoogle Sidebar is a Firefox extension that displays your Google Personalized Home page in the sidebar. Only the modules on the left column of your Google homepage are visible in the sidebar, so you must select the ones you would like to see and drag them to the left column"

3. Malcster macrumors 6502

I don't think its as complicated as that, i think its just google's new name for its personalised homepage service.

I love the themes! Tea house especially.

4. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

I second that. I just turned on my computer and was wondering the same thing, and after an intensive 30 seconds of thinking I realized that the personalized homepage has had that name for a while. (URL: http://www.google.se/[B]ig[/B]?hl=sv)

too bad :)

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

wish there was a way to change it back :(

or call it something else..."iGoogle" keeps reminding me of Apple...

7. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

Probably intended to do just that :)

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'm slightly surprised they were allowed to do it. I mean, the link to apple is obvious, and i'm sure there have been cases in the past when apple have complained about people using the 'i' before product or site names. :confused:

9. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

I think Apple will make an exception for Google...

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How great is it that there's a gadget for adding obnoxious cat pictures? :D

It's cute.

However, is anyone having trouble with Firefox getting stuck on a script in the page? It keeps becoming non-responsive and then popping up the firefox warning dialog for me. This is 2.0.0.3 on WinXP. Only computer I've played with iGoogle on yet.

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

LOL, when I first read the thread title, I thought it said "What is Google?":eek:
    Well, yeah I noticed it too, since I have my customized Google page as my homepage in Safari. It was a little weird....

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

i think it's dumb. i still want a way to revert to "Google". Hopefully the custom Google logos for holidays and such will still be available for personalized home pages.

I think I'd prefer something like "myGoogle" to "iGoogle"...it's sorta like "wtf why did they change it?" when you see "iGoogle".

I wasn't much of a fan of Apple's iEverything naming scheme, and I'm glad they're distancing themselves away from it (e.g. iBook -> MacBook).

13. opensourcerules macrumors newbie

The problem with the gadgets is that you can not change the frame size. That makes it pretty much useless for a lot of stuff :(