What is iMac stand made of

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacHiavelli, Apr 3, 2008.

1. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I want to lower the height of a 24 inch iMac. I want to take the stand off, cut it in half and then rebolt the two halves together, but overlapping them where they meet so I can drop the height by about 3 inches.

but I need to know what the stand is made of... anyone know. Solid aluminium? Plastic and aluminium?

Thanks

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I would assume solid aluminium…

Instead of sawing it in half and then bolting it together again — Franken-iMac — have you considered a VESA attachment?

3. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I'd imagine its solid aluminium... chopping the stand in half doesn't sound like a good idea to me. It'd probably alter the balance of the computer. If it’s a new iMac hacking bits off won't help with the guarantee either.

Why do you need to change the hight? if its a 24" you can wall mount it with a Vesa mount.

See... we agree :)

4. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Good God. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Remember, you're slashing the resale value by doing that.

5. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Thanks for the advice. There's no wall near where I need it to go and I can't find a VESA desk stand that I like. It is a couple of months old, but I'm not really worried about the warranty because it won't get used much more as it is and so the only thing that will give it more life will be if I can lower its height.

If it is solid aluminium, then I reckon I can cut and lower it. (BIG IF!)

6. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I think this inspires a collective shudder from Mac users through out the world... Why is it so imperative to lower it if I can ask?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would never cut it, unless you have an artistic design modification. Otherwise, you probably will never be able to sell it. Also, if you do that, you may have a hard time convincing Apple that you didn't try some other mods inside should you need to repair it.

There are so many VESA desk stands out there. One has to work for you I would think.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well… Good luck! :(

But crikey, it feels to me like I'd be sawing my own leg in half…
    Think carefully before you tie the poor iMac down. :eek::eek:

Attached Files:

9. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I provided the iMac for a colleague who is 5 foot 2; and the top of the screen is a few inches above her eye line and causing her to feel uncomfortable. If I can get the screen lower, she'll be okay. If I can't, I'll have to replace the iMac with a MPB and a 23 inch ACD. No one else here needs or wants the iMac, so it is either a case of finding a way to adapt it or simply bin it/sell it. It will probably just collect dust if I can't chop its legs down a bit, which is a waste.

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Well, in that case you should sell it and buy something which more fit your needs.

David.

11. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Yeah I've seen that before - thought cutting and bolting would give a more stable and permanent solution ... so long as the base really is solid alu...

12. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Can't you raise or lower the chair or desk, or cut an inch off the table legs? It just feels wrong hacking up the iMac.

13. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

We've tried raising the chair, but that means her arms don't sit comfortably on the desk. We've got the desk as low as it will go. The problem really is down to the fact that the stand does not offer any height adjustment. If I can find out for sure if it is solid aluminium, then I'll cut and bolt it. I am not worried about the warranty - if I ever need to take it to Apple I'll put a VESA mount on the back and just say it normally hangs on a wall - they'll never see the adapted stand. Maybe I should put a pilot drill hole through it to see what it is made of - that will show if it can be cut and bolted together.

14. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Maybe you could bolt some bits on to your colleague and make her a bit taller ;)

15. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

17. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

You're right -that's a bad idea. Space needs to be left underneath.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Those little half sphere silicone pads used for pictures, may just keep the machine up high enough for venting.

19. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

surely rather than hacking the imac up you could just modify the desk? Cut out a square where the imac stand sits, and re-attach it a few inches lower (using very strong/stable struts/connections of course so it'll still take the weight). Do the desk before the imac, it'd be far easier unless its a glass desk or something odd.

20. mpaar macrumors newbie

Go ahead and cut . . .

Go on, just cut the stand and bolt it back together with some nice slots to allow height adjustment in case you need one inch below for cooling. The desk idea is a good one too. . .

21. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Poor iMac :( Most the time im at mine, I have my eyes level with the apple logo, probably not good for me :p

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

23. elcid macrumors 6502

I would prefer this idea. Cut it out, get some bolts and maybe metal play and then bolt it in the same spot but lower. And that way you arent chopping up your imac

24. millap macrumors regular

This type of thing reminds me of what a great design the G4 iMac was. I wish Apple could have found a way to retain that arm in the G5 and Intel models.