What is it about Iphones that makes you want them?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Corysxj88, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Corysxj88 macrumors newbie

So this is my first time, not owning an apple product, but first time owning an iPhone. I have always been an Fandroid until now. I get so many people giving me a hard time about "going with the hipsters" and that apple products are just too over priced and behind on technology.....

What do you guys say to that?

What made me want to switch was just the way IOS is setup...I like a fluid everything is and I like that it doesn't crash ever other day and things are snappy.
    Even though my Galaxy S4 has a "better" camera than my wife's iphone 4s...I still that the iphone takes better pictures.

I just think apple makes a really nice product and the cases that companies make for them are also killer!

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I used and provided support for Windows for 15 years (until 2006). I heard all the same comments about the Mac back then. "Overpriced", "for sheep", and so on. Then I used a Mac for a few days. I never looked back.

As for why I choose iPhone over anyone else, I prefer to have full control over my phone and it's software. Apple provides the software and updates, not the carriers. The iPhone has no extra UI shells, adware, or bloatware preinstalled. The unique situation of controlling both the hardware and software makes for a much better experience, with the added bonus of not being obliged to any particular carrier.

3. BJabs macrumors newbie

iPhones are capable of doing everything I could ever ask from my phone, especially with the NFC now. For customization, power, whatever, I have my laptop and my desktop. Also, the familiarity, general lack of bugginess, third party support, and the feeling that I will never be left out of whatever the most popular thing is (apps).

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I prefer the App store over Google Play, that's about it. I think the apps are much nicer on iOS vs android.

5. G-Ziss macrumors regular

Same here. Honestly, if they had the exact same apps, I would probably go with a new Android phone.

6. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

Google tracking and sleaziness. I actually prefer the hardware for many of the Android phones but I can't bring myself to let Google track me everywhere I go, they have enough of my data as it is.

Besides, Apple stuff just works so nicely. I don't care about specs as much as I care that it works flawlessly. Apple cares about the whole experience and not just numbers (specs). Apple has support in cities all over the place, Google not so much.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

8. wesker macrumors member

I don't pay them any time. I'm all about the right phone for myself.

Why I choose iPhone as my main phone is:

1) The iPhone is very fast and fluid in performance
    2) Amazing apps. Great polish, thoughtful design, etc.
    3) Tight integration with my Mac

To anyone who heckles you about your choice, I'd just reply with "Wow, so much energy spent on critiquing a phone you'll never buy. Interesting.". If they reply back with something, shoot off "I'm someone who prefers to spend my time and energy on myself then worrying about what others are doing. Can't see myself policing others, I guess.". Some variant of that.

9. MSK5959 macrumors member

Best answer I can give:

They just work, period. I'm a fan of simple functionally and the iPhone's do what they say, well. Truth to be told I'm not an "Apple" person, but I know a good product when I see/use it.

If you ever want to piss Android people off, ask them why they compare everything to the iPhone! 9 out of 10 times those people can't afford an iPhone, so they don't like it for that reason alone.

10. wulfin macrumors member

wulfin

I'm switching back to iphone for only one reason - the apps.

If apps were the same across all the OS.. I would stick with my wp8.1 .. love the hardware, love the live tiles, love the camera .... but I miss the apps. So I have an ipad air and want the seamlessness between the ipad and iphone.

But yeah..if apps were across all..I'd be sporting my lumia and a surface pro.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I like that the thing works and the interfaces are so intuitive. I still use my original 2007 iPHone as a WiFi device. Same with the 4S. For phone, I have a 5c now that works flawlessly since day one.

In addition I like that the App Store is well curated. That plus the sandboxing help underwrite the security of the iOS devices.

12. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

What is it about Iphones that makes you want them?

The OS is the biggest reason I don't know why Android users are so concerned with specs all the time. You really don't need a 16 core processor with 40 gigs of ram if the software doesn't require it.

iPhones are the perfect marriage between hardware and software which gives you the best possible user experience without slowdowns and incompatibility problems.

Since Apple controls the OS on all of their phones you also get timely OS updates unlike most Android devices where if you buy a phone you may never get an upgrade to the latest Android version because the manufacturer decided to move on.

13. apple.snapple macrumors regular

Apple, to me, represents "user experience" better than any other company on the planet. Words like streamlined and focused come to mind when I use iPhone/iPad next to other android phones and tablets.

When I had my Galaxy S4, I hated the user experience. Google Play store, Samsung app store. Google contacts, Samsung contacts. Google phonebook, samsung phonebook. Oh, and lets not forget all the garbage apps that cannot be uninstalled (yellow pages, virus scanner, etc). Every single time I tried to do.. anything... the phone would ask me "hey do you want to use the samsung version of this? Do ya? Do ya? huh huh huh??"
    Samsung represents poor user experience, and to a smaller degree, HTC as well.

I use a Nexus 5 for developmental purposes and it's the only android phone I'll put my sim chip in anymore.

The way Apple devices work together seamlessly is priceless. When I take a picture with my iPhone or iPad, it automatically gets added to my AppleTV screensaver! cool

14. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

IOS
    App Store
    Apple Eco system
    Hardware quality
    Customer service

The list goes on and on...

15. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Design, ios experience, app store, everything working properly. My note 3 has been very problematic with apps crashing, bloatware, mysterious battery drain etc. I'm glad I can get the ios experience on a 5.5 inch device.

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

In my opinion, the most advanced technology is easiest to use yet powerful and stable.

17. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

That's so true.

18. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

From my observation of my family, what makes them want iPhones is the brand name.

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Well said! My husband and I choose Apple for those reasons. I also think the hardware is truly beautifully designed and has been far more reliable than what I've been used to from other manufacturers. My loyalty has to be won. I'd be willing to try something else if I felt it were an overall better device and gave me a better user experience. And would let me preserve some privacy and not treat me like a tagged animal being tracked and studied by scientists. I've not come across that "something else" yet.

20. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

People who are caught up in phone spec wars are doing it wrong. It's about functionality and user experience not how many gigs of ram or cores a phone has. For serious stuff I jump on my laptop anyway, which blows out anything a dozen phones put together can do performance wise.

21. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

I like the OS and it works seamlessly with my MBP. Everything runs smoothly. Photos are important to me and the iPhone has a great camera. I agree with the above poster, it's less about tech specs and more about how well it works day to day for my needs.

I only upgrade every 2 years ... I more or less ignore the 'S' updates. I feel like 2 years is a good amount of time; I'm not rushing to have the latest and greatest.

22. nabwong macrumors regular

This is the most important thing for me.

1. International Communication.

I have family everywhere in the world. US, Canada, Finland, England, Singapore, China, Malaysia etc. Having ONE platform makes it so much easier to communicate AND to troubleshoot. Facetime just works. No need to mess with camera or mic settings. iMessage just works and it's free with wifi. No need whatsapp or viber or whatever. I can tell my 60 year old aunt how to use this phone from halfway around the world. Everyone is on Photostream and we can share photos and videos seemlessly.

These other reasons are less of a factor but still important to me.

2. It is simple and just WORKS! Who cares how much ram it has. I've never once picked up my iphone and say, "This is slow. I wish I had more ram". I've had android phones before and even though they have more ram, it FEELS slower.

3. Apple retail store. I love it when I have a problem, there's a tech that can help me right away.

4. Applecare+. No questions asked. My lens stopped working because my baby decided to put the phone in her mouth and the saliva just destroyed the lens. Exchanged and done.

5. Solid quality. I can't tell you how many times my daughter has dropped my phone. No problem.

6. Constant updates by apple

7. Apps look way better on IOS than Android

Bottomline is, I used to be an android user but found it to be so buggy and the support was average at best. I liken Android to be like Ford and Apple to be Mercedes. I mean, Ford makes decent cars but no way is it comparable to Mercedes. That said, I'd buy a Ford (Focus ST) instead of a Mercedes because it's more bang for your buck and easier to mod. But if i'm not interested in modding, i'd get a mercedes. Even though Android is more bang for your buck, an iPhone is just $100 more than an Android and i've no desire to tweak (or jailbreak) my phone.

23. fathergll macrumors 6502a

I dig the OS and how well they are made. While Apple may lag on specs they usually impress me with the amount of thought put into their devices. Usually every review across the board gives Apple top scores for how well they are made.

24. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

While I understand a lot of what you are saying, Apple has its fair share of apps that I think are garbage and cannot be uninstalled. I don't use the weather, stocks, passbook, newsstand, etc. and I can't erase them.

25. cynics macrumors G4

Its not so much that I prefer the iPhone, I prefer the integration between all my Apple products and other Apple product users which is most of my friends and family.

Everything just tends to work very well together with none of the grief of setting stuff up and using 3rd party hardware/software to make things do what you want them to do.

Picking a brand also makes my tech buying decisions easier too.

And yes, so of the prices are high compared to what some of the competitors offer but thats a price I'm willing to pay for the above mentioned.

I have no problem with Windows and Android based products just not my thing at this moment in time.