Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
also, maybe i'm getting old, but as much as i love the compact/take anywhere size of the 11", i'm thinking a 13" is really more useful and easier on my eyes -- scrunching over to type for any period of time is rather tiring. and i'm squinting more and more when i'm using it in bed or on the couch -- i'm having to hit control+ frequently to enlarge text...
This is what I'm afraid of which is why I'll most likely go with the 13". But are things truly LARGER on the 13" screen? Or is it just that more things are displayed on the screen due to the larger resolution? (900 vs 768)

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
This is what I'm afraid of which is why I'll most likely go with the 13". But are things truly LARGER on the 13" screen? Or is it just that more things are displayed on the screen due to the larger resolution? (900 vs 768)

I wanted an 11" until I saw it next to the 13" at Best Buy.

Open up Apple.com and the main picture fills the entire 11" screen. On the 13", it loads the pictures under it.

And while the 11" is lighter (by half a pound maybe?) it's just as thick.

I find myself sticking my portable computers in a backpack, along with all the cables and stuff, when I travel. So the 1-2" savings is HIDDEN because of the way I transport the device.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012

Both, the 13" has less PPI, as well as having a larger resolution. So things are larger to your eyes because you have less pixel density, and you can also fit more in the screen because it has more pixels.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
11" or 13" for the Wife?

This has been a fairly entertaining and informative thread. I'm thinking about getting my wife an air and am leaning towards 11", but want to make sure I get it right.

She primarily watches YouTube, surfs the web, pays bills, and recently has been bugging me about using my iMac for iMovie (which prompted this whole idea to begin with). She has used both a 10" netbook and a 13" laptop and did not have an issue with either screen size. Her main complaint about the netbook was that it was too underpowered for a task as simple as watching YouTube.

So based on this I was leaning towards the 11" mainly due to cost, but knowing that her uses are primarily simple and that the screen size won't be a problem for her. I figured I would post here and see if I am missing anything in regards to considering a 13" for her instead. Thanks.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
This has been a fairly entertaining and informative thread. I'm thinking about getting my wife an air and am leaning towards 11", but want to make sure I get it right.

She primarily watches YouTube, surfs the web, pays bills, and recently has been bugging me about using my iMac for iMovie (which prompted this whole idea to begin with). She has used both a 10" netbook and a 13" laptop and did not have an issue with either screen size. Her main complaint about the netbook was that it was too underpowered for a task as simple as watching YouTube.

So based on this I was leaning towards the 11" mainly due to cost, but knowing that her uses are primarily simple and that the screen size won't be a problem for her. I figured I would post here and see if I am missing anything in regards to considering a 13" for her instead. Thanks.

If she also uses laptops on the go frequently, the 13 inch would be better because of longer battery life, but if that isn't the case, the 11" would be a good choice.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
The 11" is just so beautiful :)

I got a 13" and am super happy with it. I use my iPad as my main portable device, so for the air I wanted a larger screen to do more 'serious' work. For my use pattern, I've made the best choice.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
The 11" is just so beautiful :)

I got a 13" and am super happy with it. I use my iPad as my main portable device, so for the air I wanted a larger screen to do more 'serious' work. For my use pattern, I've made the best choice.

i have found the 11 inch air and iPad served the same purposes and use of one limited the use of the other.

the 11 is very popular, gruber mentioned on the talk show that he uses a 11 air.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
If she also uses laptops on the go frequently, the 13 inch would be better because of longer battery life, but if that isn't the case, the 11" would be a good choice.

Nope, laptop is primarily for home use. She prefers laptops because she does not like to be tied to a desk and likes using it on the couch or in bed.

I'll probably get the 11" and she can determine if she needs to go bigger and we'll exchange if necessary... Or I can keep the 11" and get her a 13".

astormsau

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I just upgraded from a Late 2010 Core 2 Duo 11" Air (purchased March 2011) to a 2012 13" i7 Air about a week ago.

I have been working with PC's for about 20 years now and would have to say that the 11" Air is without doubt, the best notebook machine I have ever used...

I had to upgrade as the 11" was out of space (128gb SSD) and the processor was quite slow for photo editing in Lightroom connected to an external monitor.

I have to say, the 11" air is an awesome machine. In the year I owned it I have carried it around UK and Europe twice on month long holidays and various places around Australia and it has never missed a beat. The size makes it almost as practical as an iPad for travel with a full screen keyboard and ability to normal apps, manage files and so forth.

Kinda miss the 11", gave it to my parents and they are enjoying it now.

Drew

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
Nope, laptop is primarily for home use. She prefers laptops because she does not like to be tied to a desk and likes using it on the couch or in bed.

I'll probably get the 11" and she can determine if she needs to go bigger and we'll exchange if necessary... Or I can keep the 11" and get her a 13".

If it's for home use where a power outlet is never very far away, and if the 10" netbook screen didn't bother her, then I would definitely recommend starting with an 11". It's noticeably lighter for having on the lap, a better compact size for couch/bed work, and so light you can carry it open with one hand from room to room with a coffee mug in the other hand. ;)

I always feel like hubby's 13" MBA has so much heft to it when I try to casually pick it up and grab it, compared to the 11" I'm used to. It's a great "around the house" machine.

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
If the base 11 had 128gb hd I would have likely kept it to save $200. If you don't need more than 64gb the 11 is a better deal if you don't need the extended battery life, larger screen or SD slot. The 13'' can be used a few hours in the morning, say, and still have enough capacity for away from the house, and in general don't have to plug it in as often. To me the 13'' is the right size with the right features. The price gap between the two should be $100 more. The 11'' started to feel too cramped with the 16:9 screen. However if it was a $200-300 difference with a 8/128 config probably would have kept the 11.

Pretty good strategy on Apples part as people who need the 11 for the compact size don't mind paying only $100 less than the 13 with same specs. The base price point on the 11 is also attractive for users who use it for internet and light apps, or have a desk top and external hd.

Last edited:

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If it's for home use where a power outlet is never very far away, and if the 10" netbook screen didn't bother her, then I would definitely recommend starting with an 11". It's noticeably lighter for having on the lap, a better compact size for couch/bed work, and so light you can carry it open with one hand from room to room with a coffee mug in the other hand. ;)

I always feel like hubby's 13" MBA has so much heft to it when I try to casually pick it up and grab it, compared to the 11" I'm used to. It's a great "around the house" machine.

i broke my friends 11" by mistaking it for the 13". when I picked it up my muscle memory was ready for 13" and whoops I threw it clear across the room! those pesky 13 inchers with all there weight. jk. lol.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but always nice to hear it from actual users. I just placed the order and she will have a surprise waiting for her when she gets home from work tomorrow (love Amazon Prime $3.99 overnight shipping).

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Thanks, that's what I was thinking but always nice to hear it from actual users. I just placed the order and she will have a surprise waiting for her when she gets home from work tomorrow (love Amazon Prime $3.99 overnight shipping).

Hmmm. I'm not sure that Amazon is selling the latest models (mid-2012) yet.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I just upgraded from a Late 2010 Core 2 Duo 11" Air (purchased March 2011) to a 2012 13" i7 Air about a week ago.

I have been working with PC's for about 20 years now and would have to say that the 11" Air is without doubt, the best notebook machine I have ever used...

I had to upgrade as the 11" was out of space (128gb SSD) and the processor was quite slow for photo editing in Lightroom connected to an external monitor.

I have to say, the 11" air is an awesome machine. In the year I owned it I have carried it around UK and Europe twice on month long holidays and various places around Australia and it has never missed a beat. The size makes it almost as practical as an iPad for travel with a full screen keyboard and ability to normal apps, manage files and so forth.

Kinda miss the 11", gave it to my parents and they are enjoying it now.

Drew

You loved owning the 11" but went with the 13, what made you make the switch?

mecfire

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I just received my 2012 11" air and after using it for a day decided to exchange it for the 13". While I absolutely love the form size, the display is on the small side for me and I can already tell if I use it for prolonged periods of time, I will "wear out" my eyes. This is definitely something each person will need to decide for themselves. I look forward to the day when Apple can take full advantage of the bezel and have it all be usable screen. That would make the 11" perfect.

andrepelly

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
i already own an early 2008 MBP 15,4 upgraded to 6gb ram and and a faster HDD, still working pretty nicely, but i needed an extra brand new mac to share with my gf, as we're now working together developing a website.

So this new MBA should have been a full working machine, without compromising on portability as we're often abroad and we travel quite a lot for both family and working purposes.
I went to the local apple store and tested both 11" and 13" and i must say the 11" wins largely to me. That's mainly because on the 13" i miss the screen estate of my 15,4 and i miss the wonderful "grab and go" factor that only the 11" has.
Plus i'm buying a TBD to use the new AIR when working at home, in this way i really think i can get the best of both worlds.
That's my ideal setup.

astormsau

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
You loved owning the 11" but went with the 13, what made you make the switch?

I wanted a bit more screen real-estate for Lightroom editing (the 13" has a slightly higher res) and larger display and I wanted the memory card reader built in and slightly longer battery life.

Drew

basharar

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
I had the original 11" sold it, ordered the 13", I hated it and it felt heavy!!! I tried talking my wife into swapping it with a new 11"....She got angry!!! she said the 11" was too small now! so the 13 is here to stay... I am slowly growing to love the 13, my eyes and hands were used to zooming in and out all the time, it became second nature while using the 11", i am doing it less now! and i just ordered a 27" display to complement it, since the new beast is so powerful to justify selling my big 17"!!!!

Redbull916

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Brighton, UK
how does one go about hooking up this many monitors to a single macbook air? whats the adapter that you use? I don't know any that allows triple...I have seen a Thunderbolt to dual HDMI adapter...but thats about it

Only one screen is plugged into the Mac, the others are connected to a dell server.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
I ordered an 11” macbook air last week. I know, it’s crazy.
Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t an easy decision.
After two 13”, it’s pretty easy to hate on the little guy. The bigger screen, better aspect ratio, larger battery, bigger palm rest, all adds up to an amazing computing experience on the 13”.
How do you improve on a computer that is almost perfect? No, that’s not quite right... How do you improve on a computer that is perfect?
The rational, mature decision would be to stick with the 13”. Stay faithful. After all what more could you ask for?
And here lies the greatest attraction of the 11”.
It is so adorable. Too adorable.
Somehow despite the fact that I had the 13” for the last 2 years, every time I walk into an apple store, I would linger at the 11”. Run my hands over the keypad, click on the trackpad, re-look at the small and tiny profile again. Every single time.
Walk out of the apple store feeling justified that I made the right choice going with the 13”, after all my eyes are not getting any less weary with age.
Then in a couple of days, I am back researching the 11” again.
Does it make sense?
Of course not.
Buying the 11” is not a head decision, it is a heart decision.
To have all that power packed into this tiny form factor is a thing of engineering beauty, what it lacks in practical functionality it makes up with character.
It beckons me to type again. To sit, to stare, to explore, to dream and most of all to enjoy.
And so, here I am, in love.
Here’s a little secret, today I almost brought my 11” to the loo. I know, it’s disgusting. Thankfully by sheer willpower i manage to leave it outside.
Somehow the 11” feels more personal, it’s mine in a way the 13” has never been. Like an extension of my being, It connects with me on an emotional level, and i can’t keep my greedy paws off it.
What’s that i see, i think there is a sparkle in my eye, I am in love.

Last edited:

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I would linger at the 11”. Run my hands over the keypad, click on the trackpad, re-look at the small and tiny profile again. It beckons me to type again. To sit, to stare, to explore, to dream and most of all to enjoy. And so, here I am, in love. What’s that i see, i think i there is a sparkle in my eye, I am in love.
I think I need a moment...

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.