Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magpie-23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I've owned unibody MBPs in 13, 15 and 17" sizes and presently couldn't be happier as a proud owner of the new 15" rMBP, it's an awesome laptop.
However, I recently acquired an old 2009 C2D 13" as a colleague was getting rid of it. It is a bit bruised and battered and obviously chugs along next to the retina, but I thought I could give it to the kids to do homework on.
But, after using it for a day or two, it got me thinking that there is something so perfect with the design of this machine as an everyday notebook, despite recent trends towards thin and light, and all flash.
I hear the concerns around the screen res looking dated but, as a web browser and e-mailer notebook, I personally still love this form factor and will be sorry to see it dropped if the impending retina 13" spells the end of it.
Chuck in 8GB of RAM and an SSD and it's still good to go for a few years.
Does anyone else understand where I'm coming from about the design?

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I understand and agree completely.

I love the "unibody" design - I'm typing on one at the moment.

I want the integrated Ethernet and the SuperDrive, and I couldn't have either (without carrying extra stuff around) with a Retina model or MBAir.

I like my MBP, it does all I need - and more - and I like the design.

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Have you tried a rMBP at all?

If not you need to as they are definitely the future for laptops. Awesome machines.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Have you tried a rMBP at all?

If not you need to as they are definitely the future for laptops. Awesome machines.

Couldn't even read the first line of the post??? ;)

The 13" MBP still hits that sweet spot for me. It is the best combination of size, weight, expandability and price.

I was disappointed in the 15" rMBP. Sure it is about the same weight as the 13" MBP and is thinner, but the footprint is just too big for my taste to even consider giving up dedicated ethernet port and expandability. The 13" MBA is still underpowered (I haven't been able to get by on just 4gb of RAM in 4 years!), has crappy viewing angles, is not expandable and to get it maxed out (still only maxes out at 8gb RAM and 512gb SSD) gets expensive since the only option is to get it at time of purchase.

Maybe the rMBP 13" will surprise me, but if it does not have a Quad core or dedicated graphics then to me the higher resolution screen, the thinness and weight savings won't make up for the loss of dedicated Ethernet port, the lost of expandability, and the cost savings of the 13" MBP.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
i agree with you. although it would be nice to have a retina as you do, I will be getting a 13" MBP. to be honest, the air would probably be a better for factor for me since I carry it around all day, but the price and upgradeabilty shoot it right out of my price range and future needs.

I have used my friends 13" MBPs and my girlfriends white 13" macbook, and there is something magical about that size. it just feels right.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
There are certainly those that do but, as with any mass produced product, it's a question of whether or not they're a significant portion of the market to keep that design around.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003

Yes. I think the 13" uMBP is the most perfect form for a laptop I've ever seen - and that includes the rMBP.

I'll be swapping my 15" uMBP for an i7 13" when I get back from Afghanistan.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I have never thought that the resolution was bad or the screen was too small. I used to game on a 13'' and I use Photoshop as well and I find it to be acceptable.

I love its expandability, it's going to be sad when the 13'' rMBP eliminates that just so they can make it less than one centimeter thinner, because obviously that is what makes for a great laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.