What is it like to run with an iphone 6 plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel Quell, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Daniel Quell macrumors member

I was planning on getting an iphone 6 plus. I have my case picked out (Thule Atmos X3) and everything, but then I realized it might be too big when I run.

Does anyone run or exercise with their iphone 6 plus? What is the experience like?

Thanks you for your help.

2. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

I am a runner and I have a 6 Plus.

There is no way I would try to run with it. It's just too damn heavy!

3. 2SwiFt29 macrumors regular

2SwiFt29

Plenty of threads on this already but I'll chime in.

I workout and run perfectly fine with basketball shorts. Doesn't bother me at all. If I'm not in the gym and running outside, I put it inside my FlipBelt which is very useful. I recommend getting the FlipBelt even if you decide to run on the treadmill.

4. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

It senses your wrist and automatically "bends" around it. Stays in place and usable.

Just kidding. I use to run long distance and agree I wouldn't carry it while running. Of course I never liked to carry anything while running.

5. Subjugator macrumors regular

I use my 6+ while running. I put it in my flipbelt.

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

For you flipbelt owners do you use a case? no case? how tight of a fit is it?

I have been thinking about getting one, but the specs make it seem like it would be a really tight fit even with no case.

7. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

8. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I run with my 6+ in my pocket. No, it hasn't bent.

9. dannyTO macrumors regular

dannyTO

Planning to run with my 6+ tmrw...

Anyway I could do this without holding it? I held my 5 before and I dislike holding anything while running really.

10. Mum4519 macrumors member

I have a Griffin case on mine and it goes into my flipbelt.

11. Zxxv macrumors 68040

If you are a man and have run naked its a bit like that :D

12. Daniel Quell, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

I just ran 3 miles with a kindle fire 6 which I got as a gift.

Dimensions: 6.7" X 4.1" X 0.4" (169 X 103 X 10.7 mm) So taller and about the same width with a very protective case on.

At first I thought it was ridiculous. It was waving back and forth in my pocket like a maniac, but I tightened my pants and after a couple of minutes I completely forgot about it. In fact when I finished I thought, "oh yeah I brought this instead of my phone."

I personally have declared the size of the iphone 6 plus based on this test to be a none issue. At least for short runs.

13. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Good thing to know....
    Many thanks
    P.S. Anyone see a "12 volt wizard" instead of the avatar of a member...I see also a strange Mac clothed like a medieval jocular

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It's not too heavy at all. I run 5km most days with my 6+ either in zipped short pockets or in my running jacket pocket.

15. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you could get an iPod nano for running and leave the 6+ at the house?

The main reason I got the 6 was because I like to run with my phone on my arm and not in my pocket or a belt.

16. lordofthereef, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I looked this up and I think I am in love! :eek:

EDIT: coupon code siha03 gets you 10% off on their site :)

How does it handle sweat? That is to say... does it soak through with sweat or is there some sort of non-water-permeable liner??

17. Jase718 macrumors member

Just walking with the plus can be uncomfortable. I can only imagine how it would feel running with it. Just get a shuffle or a 6th gen nano. I use my 6th gen nano for the gym. The clip is great!

18. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

If it flies out of your shorts pocket and lands on asphalt...

19. masands macrumors regular

I ran around 9kms with it in my shorts pockets. I noticed 2 things compared to my iPhone 5:

1) because it heavier it sinks deeper into the pocket. No risk of it falling out.

2) because it's heavier, it swings too much! My pocket was literally resonating back and forth and the phone kept bumping into my leg.

Running with my iPhone 5 is a much better experience, basically because it's so light and I don't care if I touch a 2 year old phone with sweaty hands.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've given up on using it as my tracking device. Its just too big. I used a belt and that worked ok, but there's no way for me to check my splits or status during the run, unlike an armband. So far I've found no arm band for the 6 plus worth the price.

At the moment, I'm using the MS band, and that syncs up with my run keeper app and it has its own app for tracking my activity.

21. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Link please?

22. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I run with mine, I just use a clip/holster combo and it works fine no problem or hindrance to my runs.

23. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Not sure what kinds of running you're planning but I used to run marathons at a decent pace and I couldn't personally stand running with anything larger than a iPod Shuffle that clips on.

Use a Garmin GPS watch and you can still up load all your data to Strava or such tracking apps.

I couldn't imagine running with a full size phone let alone a phablet like my iP6+.

24. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Just got my iPhone 6+ today. Ran 4 miles with it in my hand the whole way (which is what I do with all my phones). I mainly wanted to see if I could switch songs without dropping it. I was able to do so without any problem at all. I'm not tall 5'9 and have average size hands. I will say the 6+ is a bit heftier than, say, my old iPhone 5. I don't think it would be fun to run with it for more than a half marathon. I would likely find myself switching up hands if I were running any longer than maybe 5-6 miles. If you don't normally care to run with a device in your hand, you are definitely not going to have fun with the 6+.

25. techspin macrumors 6502a

If I kept the 6+, I'd have a shuffle or some other device for running and exercise. It's a large phone! Sure it's great for running, so long as you strap it to your body with a large belt. :p