Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Widgetal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've spent today copying all my apps and files from my 2yr old 2.5GHz MBP onto my new 2.66GHz UMBP. Even with them essentially holding the same data, the new one is a lot quicker at opening apps etc.

As a test, I timed the start-up:

Old MBP: 1m12s
New MBP: 29s

I remember a time when my old one booted up just as quickly! So, what is it that will undoubtedly cause my new one to gradually slow down?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Applications that auto-start are a major factor. The more resources the system needs to load, the longer it takes.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I've had my MBP for 1 1/2 years. It hasn't slowed down at all.

FWIW, all the apps I use constantly I have set to open at startup. That way I don't have to wait when I use them, Firefox, OO, and Parallels in particular.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I think it's less that your Mac has slowed down, and more that you realize how much slower it is in relation to newer models. It's a perception thing.

Either that or its gremlins.

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
How much RAM is in the old Mac compared to the new one? Newer ones tend to have more RAM which is a big factor. How fast is the old hard drive? My iBook has a 4000RPM, newer Macs have 5400RPM or possibly 7200RPM. Newer processors have more L2 cache on the chip, means the processor can access common instructions faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.