What is it with Apple's obsession with stainless steel backs?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WilliamG, Sep 9, 2008.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

They are so, so awful. Scratch when you look at them!

Just sad. I feel for all the new Touch owners whose iPods look like crap after a day of use.

Why, Apple? Why?

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I was hoping for a plastic back like the iPhone has, I don't like the chrome back either!

Looks cool though :p

3. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

The answer is simple. They want the back of your iPod to get all scratched up that way a year from now, when you see the new shiny ones, you buy those. Apple wants you to buy a new iPod every year, and for many people, a shiny new back is enough to convince them.

4. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I agree completely.

5. Goroke macrumors member

Very true...that's why I'm gonna cover it as soon as I buy it >_____>

6. California King macrumors 65816

I don't like them either, but they've had em on iPods from the beginning. Guess it's one of the iPod's most recognizable feature, and only one on the touch since there's no click wheel.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I know a person who spent ages etching a design into the back of her iPod before covering it with a see-through plastic case. I think that's a creative way to handle the steel backs,. As for me I'd much prefer aluminum over steel.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Steve Jobs has said he likes the "personal" feel of a scratched-up iPod back. And if SJ likes it, well ... yeah. ;)