Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
They are so, so awful. Scratch when you look at them!

Just sad. I feel for all the new Touch owners whose iPods look like crap after a day of use.

Why, Apple? Why?

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
I was hoping for a plastic back like the iPhone has, I don't like the chrome back either!

Looks cool though :p

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
The answer is simple. They want the back of your iPod to get all scratched up that way a year from now, when you see the new shiny ones, you buy those. Apple wants you to buy a new iPod every year, and for many people, a shiny new back is enough to convince them.

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
The answer is simple. They want the back of your iPod to get all scratched up that way a year from now, when you see the new shiny ones, you buy those. Apple wants you to buy a new iPod every year, and for many people, a shiny new back is enough to convince them.
I agree completely.

Goroke

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008

Very true...that's why I'm gonna cover it as soon as I buy it >_____>

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I don't like them either, but they've had em on iPods from the beginning. Guess it's one of the iPod's most recognizable feature, and only one on the touch since there's no click wheel.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I know a person who spent ages etching a design into the back of her iPod before covering it with a see-through plastic case. I think that's a creative way to handle the steel backs,. As for me I'd much prefer aluminum over steel.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

WilliamG said:
They are so, so awful. Scratch when you look at them!

Just sad. I feel for all the new Touch owners whose iPods look like crap after a day of use.

Why, Apple? Why?

Steve Jobs has said he likes the "personal" feel of a scratched-up iPod back. And if SJ likes it, well ... yeah. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.