What is jailbreaking, and why would I want to do it?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by techdave, May 6, 2011.

1. techdave macrumors newbie

It sounds like it would void the warranty. What is it exactly? Why would I want to do that?

2. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Because you decided to post here and not make a simple search on Google? Or even search on Macrumors since there's the same exact thread posted already.

Downranked.

3. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

General rule: if you don't know what it is you don't need it.

4. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I think you got the wrong nick for this forum, if you do not know what a jailbreak is...

5. Zermelo macrumors regular

6. OSMac, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

It's allows you to install programs that are not from Apples app store.

The jailbreak process installs a new cydia app that is like a store of it's own with many free and some paid apps that are not available from apple.

Popular apps in the jailbreak world are file managers that give you access to the entire file system, emulators of older game consoles that work with a wii remote, etc.

Is it worth giving up security, warranty, etc to jailbreak is up to you, but it seems less people are jailbreaking now with so many apps in Apple's store. The iPad 2 has no jailbreak process at this time.

7. Zodiak, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

Zodiak macrumors regular

Jailbreaking is just a means to install a third party app store called Cydia by the use of external software to install it with.

Cydia is a third party app store with a large community that carries both free and paid apps and tweaks for your iDevice.

In a nut shell, your iDevice can do a HECK of alot more then apple allows you to do and many of the things on Cydia allow you to do that.

But truely, many of the jailbroken tweaks eventually make it into future IOS releases.

I love jailbreaking, I can safely say that you can increase the functionality of your device by 150-200%

• Multitasking (Before apple authorized it)
    • Using your 3G connection to create a mobile wifi hotspot
    • iFile which displays the entire file structure of your device in a explorer type setting that you can modify
    • Full themes that change your background, effects and icons and even make it look like your running a different operating system
    • Widgets that dispaly info on your lockscreen like email, weather, calendar, facebook and twitter messages
    • Add more rows or collumns of icons so that you can have more apps per page
    • Video wallpapers that display video loops on your background
    • Drop down windows that let you change settings on the fly (SBSeetings)
    • Emulators for old classic console video games
    • Ability to block calls and telephone numbers

The list goes on and on. Basically apple puts software limitations on what the hardware can do. Jailbreaking bends or disables many if not most of those limitations all from a community that creates Apps, mods and tweaks for it :)

8. techdave thread starter macrumors newbie