Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PoWn3d0704

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Now I know it's hacking the iPods software, but i don't know what the exact advantages of doing this even are. I just bought the 32GB 3rd Gen iTouch last night, and I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

iSpaghettiCat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Miami, FL
Some advantages of jailbreaking an iPod touch is...

Themes
A background/wallpaper behind your icons
Change where it says "iPod" to whatever you want, provided it fits up there
Battery Percentage added by SBSettings
SBSettings, various toggles by sliding across the status bar

Too many to list.

PC Killer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
jailbreaking

theres sooooo many awesome things you can do through jailbreaking. using cydia you can download programs not available in the appstore. I installed a program through cydia called installous. you search any app thats in the iTunes appstore using installous and you download the FULL VERSION of any app for absolutely FREE. like someone said before theres so many other great things to do. and no there is no ill-effects from jailbreaking

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just a reminder to please not discuss specific means of piracy or promote pirate websites on MR... even if you just call it "free" to make it sound nicer. ;)

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Google Voice app is available if you jailbreak. And other good stuff as well. The author of the GV app was so mad at Apple rejecting the app he is giving it away for free to jailbreakers.

You can continue to use you iphone/ipod as normal as well (iTunes store, iTunes sync, etc).

PoWn3d0704

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Yes.... That was my other question... This itouch won't connect to a single earpiece through Bluetooth, and I was wondering if that was possible. And if it is, will the microphone on the earpiece work with apps like google voice?

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
iBluetooth is an app that at least enables file transferring. And if you can find a bluetooth headset that pairs with it, it should work fine in Google Voice.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
also you can use Wifi only apps in 3G mode with 3g unrestrictor i think its called as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.