what is kernal task?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gelatin, Jun 12, 2009.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

sometimes my ram usage is really high with no programs open and i see that its kernal task thats doing this.
    when i restart my computer its fine but i wanna know what this is and why this keeps happening

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The kernel is the Core of the OS, and allows the software to interact with the hardware. All UNIX/Linux systems are built on solid kernels, and the Mach Micro-kernel is what OS X uses.

TEG

4. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's doing stuff. Important stuff.

6. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

like what? i always lose about half my ram to this and the only way to get it back is to restart

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Can you give us screenshots of System Memory and CPU under Activity Monitor?

Generally, kernel_task skyrockets with certain tasks. DVD Imager on my G5 shoots not just itself up, but several system programs when processing.

I'm slightly skeptical about "losing" half of your RAM. Does it actualy go to "inactive"?

8. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I noticed a lot of pageouts - how long was the system on before you took the screenshot? A lot of programs keep their information stored in memory, regardless if it was recently shut down.

I think you are fine.