what is (kernel panic) messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kyaw, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kyaw macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2009
    About "You need to restart your computer Hold down the Power button for serveral seconds or press the restart button" (kernel panic) messages

Hi, My new iMAC(3 days old), when i trying to connect wireless connection i got this error..Anybody met this problem before? I google for this case i found that one http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392 and resolution is not cleared..

Is it common problem?
    any idea?
  2. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2008
    A place
    Well whats going on before the panic? Acting slow? Whats running in the background?
  3. kyaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2009
    hi, before panic i downloading eclipse by safari browser.. At that time connection was too slow then i changed to another connection(wireless connection).. after that panic is happen
  4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Mar 19, 2008
    Warrington, UK
    Kernal Panics are often caused by connected USB/Firewire devices. If you have any connected to your iMac, unplug them all and see if it still happens.
  5. Nano2k macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2009
    Kernel Panic or KP, is Apple's version of Windows Blue screen, it means that something caused the system to crash.

Yes it happens on Apple computers too:D
  6. kyaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2009
    I always connect printer(Epson sometimes power off) at my imac. Is it problem?

this stupid KP 3 times happened on my new imac(21.5 inches).. :(:)mad:
  7. illy123 macrumors member

Jan 1, 2010
    Kernel panics are usually caused by peripherals as drivers are still loaded in the kernel - so if they malfunction the kernel malfunctions and the OS freezes. These days more and more layers of the operating system are being taken out of the kernel so if a programme crashes it doesn't create a kernel panic but freezes (so you can close it with force quit).

The kernel is the skeleton of the operating system; a KP is mac's BSOD.
  8. kyaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2009
    thaks for expalin.. i found the problem already, cause of vuze application, now i using transmission instead of vuze . working already so far no problem..