What is killing my battery overnight?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sdmac, Nov 23, 2009.

1. sdmac macrumors member

The past two nights I have gone to bed with atleast 50% battery life remaining only to wake up to a dead phone. I charged it this morning and have not used it at all and my battery life is already down to 86%. It says 1hour 13 minutes of usage and 1 hour 13 minutes of standby?? It has been asleep the entire time. Is there an APP that is killing my battery that I am unaware of? Wifi is off, location services is off and phone is asleep??

2. sdmac thread starter macrumors member

downloaded a system activity monitor and noticed that my ipod was running in the background even though i appeared to close it. When I open Itunes store it automatically launches the IPOD. I have to manually reboot the Iphone to totally close out of the IPOD. Anybody else have this problem?

3. fid macrumors newbie

I had this happen after installing some apps and assumed it was one of them. It was not. Try the following steps. You can have it resolved in a morning

1) Perform a power off / on cycle to ensure the drain is still occurring.

2) Without using the phone for a few minutes, get a baseline of the drainage. For example, 4% loss in 20 minutes. It may help to write this down. In the usage (under settings/general) there is a time reported 'Usage'. Thats the one that probably increasing incorrectly. For example, the phone is asleep but you check 20 minutes later and find the 'Usage' value has climbed considerably.

3) Turn notifications completely off and repeat the first step. Hopefully, this will identify it as a notification issue. If the battery drain is much better then turn on notifications but rerun the first step with individual services selected on.

4) If, in the end, none of the registered notification apps is causing this, then it may be an email 'loop'. Remove all email accounts (it sounds worse than it really is...). If you are using mobileme for one of the accounts make sure you save contacts on the phone (when prompted) during the account removal. Re-create the accounts. Your old messages should still be there. This step takes no more than 5 - 10 minutes.

I've performed the above steps to troubleshoot a problem like you've reported.

Good luck.