What is Leopard Safari's webclip to dashboard tool for?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zen, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

There doesn't seem to be an option to remove this new function button from Safari... what is it for? I've played with it, clipping webpage content into Dashboard widgets, but I can't work out what you would use it for? Any ideas? Seems about as useless as the transparent menu bar.

And is there a setting to disable it that I have missed?

2. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Lets say you visit a particular website every day for news or info... perhaps you only look at a little bit of the site.. Webclip lets you make a widget that autoupdates with that portion of the website..

for example, my mother is it a local darts league and their division has a league table on a big website.. well after cutting out just the bit shes interested in, there is now a nice widget that tells her the league standings whenever she goes to dashboard.

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Ah ok. I was trying it out on web clips that don't change. Still, seems a bit niche interest. Hopefully there will be a button to disable it in a future update of Safari.

Sure am looking forward to 10.5.1!

4. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Its just a feature, like printing, or tabs.. You dont really need to "disable" it because its not actually running unless you click on it.. If you would like to remove it from your toolbar, you can click view -> customise toolbar...

That way you never have to see it again!

5. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

But it really is a useful addition to Safari. I don't see why you would want to get rid of it. :confused:

I think it's kind of buggy right now because it doesn't seem to work for me. But that will definitely be fixed in a future Leopard update.

6. lorddunstan macrumors newbie

i clipped a couple of things to dashboard using this feature....now how do i get rid of them...they wont delete or drag to trash, any help please.

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

like my k/d ratio on my halo 3 profile, i checked it every day, so i made a webclip of it

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Personally I find its a great replacement for sites that should have RSS but don't. RIght now I've got it on Unsanity and Sixtyforce for news of Leopard compatibility :)

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Press the plus in dashboard, then the x on the clip :)

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I use it to webclip my Yahoo! portfolio, Kitco gold charts and Bloomberg oil prices. Its very handy (for me).

11. Queso macrumors G4

I've already got the League Two form table from football365.com and the League Two table from the County website clipped to my dashboard. So there's two great uses just there :)

12. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You want to remove the button? In Safari, View/Customize Toolbar, drag the button off the toolbar. Edit: Oops. Sorry CavemanUK, I missed your post.

14. Queso macrumors G4

A quick question on this, as I've currently only got my Tiger Mac with me. If you create a webclip widget on Leopard, can you export it and run it on other Macs?

15. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Here's a widget I created using Leopard's webclip.

Attached Files:

16. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

17. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think I can answer that question: it is a 'webclip' snippet from smh.com.au, Sydney's major newspaper.

Bern, if you wanted a proper weather widget for the major cities (sorry, Australian's only :D), just head over here, only just discovered it myself.

[​IMG]

18. lorddunstan macrumors newbie

thanks psychofreak.

19. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

I know this thread is super old but here goes.

Does anyone know how often those webclips auto update? Reason I am asking is I uploaded some keyboard shortcut cheat sheets online and used webclips to show them in dashboard. There did not seem to be an easier way...

Anyways, there static so I don't know how much unnecessary bandwidth this method will use up. Any idea?