What is Leopard Safari's webclip to dashboard tool for?

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
There doesn't seem to be an option to remove this new function button from Safari... what is it for? I've played with it, clipping webpage content into Dashboard widgets, but I can't work out what you would use it for? Any ideas? Seems about as useless as the transparent menu bar.

And is there a setting to disable it that I have missed?

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
There doesn't seem to be an option to remove this new function button from Safari... what is it for? I've played with it, clipping webpage content into Dashboard widgets, but I can't work out what you would use it for? Any ideas? Seems about as useless as the transparent menu bar.

And is there a setting to disable it that I have missed?
Lets say you visit a particular website every day for news or info... perhaps you only look at a little bit of the site.. Webclip lets you make a widget that autoupdates with that portion of the website..

for example, my mother is it a local darts league and their division has a league table on a big website.. well after cutting out just the bit shes interested in, there is now a nice widget that tells her the league standings whenever she goes to dashboard.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Ah ok. I was trying it out on web clips that don't change. Still, seems a bit niche interest. Hopefully there will be a button to disable it in a future update of Safari.

Sure am looking forward to 10.5.1!

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Ah ok. I was trying it out on web clips that don't change. Still, seems a bit niche interest. Hopefully there will be a button to disable it in a future update of Safari.

Its just a feature, like printing, or tabs.. You dont really need to "disable" it because its not actually running unless you click on it.. If you would like to remove it from your toolbar, you can click view -> customise toolbar...

That way you never have to see it again!

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
But it really is a useful addition to Safari. I don't see why you would want to get rid of it. :confused:

I think it's kind of buggy right now because it doesn't seem to work for me. But that will definitely be fixed in a future Leopard update.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Lets say you visit a particular website every day for news or info... perhaps you only look at a little bit of the site.. Webclip lets you make a widget that autoupdates with that portion of the website..

for example, my mother is it a local darts league and their division has a league table on a big website.. well after cutting out just the bit shes interested in, there is now a nice widget that tells her the league standings whenever she goes to dashboard.
like my k/d ratio on my halo 3 profile, i checked it every day, so i made a webclip of it

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
Personally I find its a great replacement for sites that should have RSS but don't. RIght now I've got it on Unsanity and Sixtyforce for news of Leopard compatibility :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I've already got the League Two form table from football365.com and the League Two table from the County website clipped to my dashboard. So there's two great uses just there :)

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004

You want to remove the button? In Safari, View/Customize Toolbar, drag the button off the toolbar. Edit: Oops. Sorry CavemanUK, I missed your post.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
A quick question on this, as I've currently only got my Tiger Mac with me. If you create a webclip widget on Leopard, can you export it and run it on other Macs?

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Which site did you get that weather from?

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
I know this thread is super old but here goes.

Does anyone know how often those webclips auto update? Reason I am asking is I uploaded some keyboard shortcut cheat sheets online and used webclips to show them in dashboard. There did not seem to be an easier way...

Anyways, there static so I don't know how much unnecessary bandwidth this method will use up. Any idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.