What is Light Peak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swish2351, May 6, 2010.

1. swish2351 macrumors 6502

What is it and should I wait for that to come out to get my computer? Because when I buy this I can't afford to buy another computer for probably 4 to 5 years. When Light Peak comes out, will USB2.0 still be on the macs with LightPeak?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's optical-cable technology developed by Intel. Manufacturing of it should begin in late 2010 but before it becomes standard, IF it becomes a standard, it'll take some time and I'm sure USB will still dominate until all computers and devices has LP.

The speed makes it VERY capable, 10Gbit/s has been demonstrated but Intel claimed it can reach 100Gbit/s. Just to remind you that USB2 is 480Mbit/s so LP is 200 times faster. It could be used everywhere, that's why it's so tempting. It's faster than USB or SATA, even faster than HDMI (IF it can reach +12Gbit).

I really hope it becomes a standard and Apple adopts it

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

LP could theoretically replace all the ports on the computer, so you would only need one kind of cable for everything. That would be great since I have boxes of various kinds of cables and adapters. On my desk right now I have USB extension, mini USB, micro USB, USB A-B, iPod USB, Cat 6, DVI, eSATA, FW800, and sound cables.

5. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're aware that you could've typed in that subject line in a google search and gotten all the answer you'd want and then some, right?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What is this google you speak of?

What is it and should I wait for that to come out to get my computer? Because when I buy this I can't afford to buy another computer for probably 4 to 5 years. When Google comes out, will AltaVista still be on the macs with Google?
    :D

8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Laziest query I've seen in a long time. Why don't you just Google it for God's sake ??? :confused: