What is Lightroom doing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fredr500, Sep 6, 2007.

1. fredr500 macrumors regular

I just got my new mac pro, and copied 50,000 pictures from my PC to it.

I pointed Lightroom at them and said import. It appeared to finish, the thumbnails are all there, things appear good.

But in Library, when I go fullscreen (double click) it takes 1-2 minutes for the loading message to go away. If I go to Develop it loads immediately.

And Lightroom has been consuming 95-125% of CPU utilization for the last 4 days, with no indication of what it is doing.

Can I assume that eventually it finish whatever it is doing and it will become speedy, or am I overtaxing it with that number of pictures?

Thanks
    Fred

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Don't worry! It's busy indexing, building the vault etc. With that number of pictures it's sure to take a bit of time!

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, that takes a long time, but 4 days? I don't think it would take that long with a new Mac Pro, although I guess it's possible.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I don't know the answer but you can get a good clue by opening Activity Monitor, selecting the LR process and then "Inspect" and take a look at what file it has open. See if some look like indexs or thumbnail catalogs. Then in the finder check if the file size is growing over time.

5. fredr500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all, and ChrisA I will check that tonight if it is still running.

Fred