Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Oregon
Does it work with iWork & iLife '09? What about Microsoft Office 2008? Is there a list of compatible or supported software somewhere? I don't want to upgrade for $30 then have to pay another $500 for my apps to work with Lion.

:confused:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 12.47.07 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 12.47.07 AM.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 163

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Does it work with iWork & iLife '09? What about Microsoft Office 2008? Is there a list of compatible or supported software somewhere? I don't want to upgrade for $30 then have to pay another $500 for my apps to work with Lion.

:confused:

Everything you just listed will work. It is only Rosetta apps that will not work. PPC applications. Google is your friend to see if something is PPC or not. (don't be tricked if something has a PPC version since it might also have an intel version)

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
iWork '08 works fine if you do all the updates. Although of course none of Lion's new features like Resume/Autosave/Fullscreen/Versions are supported.

Ok thank you, At the moment I don't really care about those features just need it to work until the next version of iWork comes out. (Don't want to buy 2 year old software.)

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
My father is an attorney and does most of his work on AppleWorks 6.2.9 on his iMac 2.16GHz Core2Duo (white iMac). He has thousands of files, some created with AppleWorks 5 on his older iMac G3 under Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.

Since he has these thousands (and I mean maybe over 10,000) client files, etc, in AppleWorks 5 and AppleWorks 6 format, it would really be a burden to upgrade to Lion and not be able to function his law practice anymore or open/edit these AppleWorks files. He keeps all of his hours and logs in AppleWorks.

Lion DOES NOT support AppleWorks AT ALL since it is a PowerPC Application, and Apple never developed an intel port of AppleWorks. The last version of AppleWorks made was 6.2.9 and it was OS X compatible. Apple completely dropped the ball on this by dropping Rosetta support in Lion. I would bet that there are many others out there in the same situation that rely on AppleWorks (and other PowerPC applications) for their business needs and their work.

Be careful and realize that there is no PowerPC support in Lion, so applications like AppleWorks, Quicken, etc that were not ported to intel will not be able to run whatsoever in Lion. Be aware, be prepared, and be smart.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Apple completely dropped the ball on this by dropping Rosetta support in Lion.

You are complaining that Apple no longer supports 5+ year old software? No software developer is still supporting 5+ year old software, other than the mess that is Windows. Complaining that an OS doesn't support software that old anymore is ridiculous. Your father, or any lawyer, should not be running software that is that ancient, which in this case, is actually 7 years old.

Apple gave users 5 years to move to Intel based Apps. That is more than generous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.