What is Logic Volumegroup and why does it show full?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NosebagTime, Mar 26, 2013.

1. NosebagTime macrumors newbie

Hi all...

received my Imac 2012 27 i7 1TB Fusion 32GB RAM 2GB GPU yesterday and all I did was import 250 gb of HD Videomaterial from my Camcorder.
    Everything went fine.
    Later I downloaded XPlane and went to bed since it was late I let the download run by itself.
    This morning it said, that there is not enough space on the Harddrive and the download had cancelled.
    I looked it up in Disk Utility and there are 2 Macintosh HD's listed.

The one on top is called logic volume group, is 1.12 TB and only has 115KB free space

The other drive is also called Macintosh HD but named logic partition and shows 1.12TB capacity of which 260GB are used and 850GB available space, which sounds about just right.

What is that "full" 1.1TB drive ??
    The computer runs fine and everything works but i don't like this other HD...
    Anybody an idea or the time to enlighten me.?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You have a fusion drive. I have a mac mini with the same kind of fusion drive.
    The logicalvolumegroup is not a drive you can copy to. Your Macintosh HD is really made of 2 drives... a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Hard Drive.

For reference my logicalvolumegroup says it has only 75KB free. My Macintosh HD (128GB SSD + 1TB HD) has about 450 GB free.

You have plenty of room. Just make sure you are copying files to your "Macintosh HD".