What is .mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gillilandboy, May 2, 2007.

1. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

I was thinking about buying a macbook and I have posted a few questions around (very helpful by way!) and I just wanted to know what .mac was I have heard people talk about it.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, check out the .Mac site. Apple offer a trial service which is probably the best way of learning what it is, despite its limitations.

3. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I've got .mac and I'm very pleased with it. It offers a mac email address, the ability to sync your address book & bookmarks, check your email online, have access to your backed up files, you can publish your calendar for others to see (helps in groups you belong to like softball team practices or upcoming fights to watch) as well as many other features. I found eBay's the best place to pick it up...it took me a while to find a good deal, but I got mine for about $55. In the box is nothing but a key code, so ask the seller to just email the code and save on the shipping. Great investment in my opinion, other opinions may vary.

4. gillilandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help man you have been a great help

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

7. seasomneviits macrumors newbie

As best I understand it, it's sort of like getting AOL. Its a bunch of features and services, all of which are actually free if you want to look around and use multiple websites, but they're all packaged together. Sort of helpful for someone new to the internet, but not terribly useful if you've been on the internet for a few years.

I may be wrong on that; thats the impression I got from my limited interaction with it.

8. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Ditto.

9. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I got it to see what it was like. I renewed it because when I had two Macs it was probably the easiest and quickest way to keep some of their settings synced. The servers are notoriously slow and the package is probably overpriced, but it still is quite convenient.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i only have it for the syncing. as i haven't found a better solution yet.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I have to force myself to actually use the storage for anything. It's just so damn slow!