What is .Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greenpflyer, Dec 3, 2007.

1. greenpflyer macrumors newbie

What is .Mac? What does it do? What is significant about it? Why does it cost money and cost so much? Is it worth it? Or is my mom going to scream why do I need to buy a $100 email account? Thanks for any advice.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Basically, it's an online set of services offered by Apple including email, website hosting and file storage, plus a few nice bonuses like address book and bookmark syncing, and Back to My Mac.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the cost.

You can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.Mac

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

Personally, I use syncing for my calendar, contacts, e-mail settings, dock items, dashboard items, Yojimbo items and bookmarks to keep things the same across my three Macs. I also use the iDisk for storing documents I frequently use on multiple machines. And of course I use the e-mail.

I've also on occasion used the web hosting space, but I'm hoping to utilize it more in the future, especially now that they give you so much more space. I'm planning on starting to use Back to My Mac shortly, I just need to upgrade my work computer to Leopard (which I'm hoping to do tomorrow) first.

For me, the syncing and e-mail is worth $100 a year. The rest is all bonus for me, though I'm expecting to get a lot out of Back to My Mac, but I've already had .Mac for 3 years and am happy for it.

EDIT: BTW, you can often get .Mac for ~$60-$70 instead of $100 if you order it on Amazon. They stupidly discount the old packaging versions even though the box is just a throwaway. All you need is the code. And there's also a discount available if you buy along with a new Mac from Apple.

EDIT: Oh, also, I use the .Mac Backup program, both to back up some data to my iDisk and to backup my whole computer to a network drive. I still use it in addition to Time Machine and SuperDuper!, but I'm kind of OCD like that.

4. HDproducer macrumors member

I think it is well worth the price. I have a few groups set up for sharing project files with my crew and I use idisk to keep things up to date on all three computers.

Back to my mac is worth the price of leopard and .mac. It is worth it just for that.

5. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Has anyone had any experience about buying it off ebay?
    I've noticed some guy with 70 copies available for about £25 less than Apple is asking for. He does have 100% positive feedback but I thought it'd be best to ask here.
    EDIT: Another silly question: How do you reuse an image without re-importing it from iPhoto?