What is mba intergrated microphone like?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macgrl, Jun 21, 2010.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

With the mba not having an input for an external mic what is the intergrated one like for making skype / voice calls etc.:)

2. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

3. kell1831 macrumors newbie

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

5. ato09 macrumors newbie

I have used my 2011 MBA to Skype a lot, and I have never had a problem with the mic, or at least no one has complained that they couldnt hear me or anything that would indicate that the mic was an issue.

6. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I concur. No issues from any of the people I've been talking with. Of course the same can't be said for what I've experienced with using either of my bluetooth headsets when connected to the air. Apple clearly still has issues with getting bt to work properly.

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

It's very clear.
    About echo, when your sound is high, it may make some.
    If you watch a video while on skype, they will definitely hear it.
    But you can change the mic's volume anyway.

Beware: Skype automatically changes the mic volume and you can't change it from the settings. It's a little more complicated than that, but it can be done.
    Google for it :)

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Its actually really good! We have lectures at work sometimes and I have recorded a few and its nice and clear.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

This is incorrect. The audio port on the side is both mic-in and stereo-out, same as the one port on the iphone or ipad.

For professional audio use, a USB sound-card can be added with many inputs and outputs. For a more basic use, you can buy a simple adapter to split the mic-in and stereo-out signals into two plugs.

10. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

It works fine for me.
    My only dislike is its close to the fan.
    So when I'm playing games online(like Portal 2) the people playing can hear it, and its loud!

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Come on!!! Real gamers have headsets! http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC...FDWO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331589184&sr=8-3 <cough> And yes, I have one of those audio splitters - http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Speake...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331589244&sr=1-1

In reference to the thread - I've made many a' calls with Google Voice with my Macbook Air. No one has complained or said they couldn't hear me. I actually prefer the integrated mic (without headset) to making calls vs headset - super mobile and super convenient.

12. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

As another user said, it doubles as an Audio input. If you have, for instance, iPhone earphones, you can use the mic on them. Nifty.

13. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Works OK for me. There are a number of people on the boards who have complained about low volume.

14. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

Hmm, never thought of having a headset.
    However I wouldn't use it enough right now to spend $148 on it.
    I do have a giftcard for an electronics store tho($80), maybe they'll have a decent one.

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I've been wondering about this myself also. So I made several recordings while playing my acoustic guitar on an iPhone 4 (using the included Voice Memos app) and a new 13" MBA (using QuickTime Pro).

I was actually surprised - the iPhone recordings sound much better when I plug both devices into a powered studio monitor. I also copied the iPhone recordings to the MBA and they sound better than the native MBA recordings there too.

It's not a volume issue, the iPhone microphone seems to have better frequency response.

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's pretty good. It will echo if you use it above 6 bars.

17. ericDylan macrumors regular

I have occasional problems when using Skype.

Because of its close proximity to the fan, sometimes there is excessive noise if it kicks in while on a Skype call.

18. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

From my experience, the integrated microphone is a little on the quiet side. Right now I have a 11" MacBook Air 2011, and I've had several FaceTime, Skype, and Facebook video chats with friends, and I noticed that they asked me to speak a little louder several times because I didn't sound loud enough.

Before this computer, I had a 13" MacBook Pro 2009, and I was never asked to speak a little louder, but I'm sure the microphone placement has a lot to do with it as well. On the MacBook Pro, the mic was placed above the keyboard around the escape key area, but on this MacBook Air, the microphone is placed on the left-hand side of the machine right beside the USB port and headphone jack input.