What is MBP core i5, 2.53 stock SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarah.kho, Dec 20, 2010.

1. sarah.kho macrumors member

Hi,

I am going to buy a second hand mac book pro which comes with:

-high-res anti glare screen
    -core i5 2.53 ghz scree.
    -128gb SSD

I asked the seller and he said that it is the stock SSD. I do not know what is the SSD model and I am wondering whether the stock SSD worth the extra money I am paying or not.

I will mostly use the laptop for programming and I am thinking whether I will see any performance improvement or not.

Thanks.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

It's either Samsung or Toshiba. How much extra are you paying for it? It's only worth about $150 extra.

3. sarah.kho thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for posting the reply. I think something like 100USD more than a second hand laptop with a 5400 rpm driver. Do you know any possible model number so I can search more on the web to find more about how good they are?

Another question is whether this SSD is any good? Do these two models suffer from garbage problem or there are some mechanism inside them to clean up the garbage?

Also, do they make any difference in performance compared to 7200rpm drive? Assuming that I will only have this drive in my system and OS and user files will be placed on it.

Thanks.

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

100? I would take it. Its gonna be faster then the 7200 drive even if it doesn't have garbage collection.

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Yeah for $100, take it. They're middle of the road. Depends on what model, may or may not have GC, but probably does.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I believe for that particular model it is almost all Samsung as noted above. You will see gains although supposedly not as much as some other SSD's.