What is Micr0$0ft Silverlight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 24, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

http://silverlight.net/

is it some kind of new web technology that Microsoft is making, or is it improving the existing high-end web applications like Gmail using AJAX? Is it worth to download, that site really isn't being specific :(

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not right now, but in the future there's a chance it will make a good part of the Web...read the wiki :)

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

ahh, i get it, its a flash competitor, that helps :)

MLB???? why such a popular site use a web technology that still isnt that stable??

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not stable, or not popular? It won't gain popularity until sites start using it.

SL is interesting, as mentioned it's like Flash however everything runs against the .Net CLR so .Net developers can now make Flash-like sites without learning a new language.

Is it worth downloading? At this stage I'd only download it if you're trying to use a site that needs it.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

I have found that as of now, it is actually more reliable/OS X friendly than Flash. Flash on OS X seems to really, really blow, so the more available options the better.

7. xcrunner macrumors regular

My only experience was trying to watch Jackass 2.5 (blockbuster.jackassworld.com) only to be dealt with countless audio sync problems. I'd have to exit full screen, pause, and click play again to sync it back up. I'll stick with flash or qt thank you. Both Sl and the movie were a disappointment

8. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I followed a link from MacNN.com for info on Microsoft's CES keynote, which took me to www.microsoft.com/ces/. Immediately told me I had to install Silverlight. Downloaded & installed. Restarted Safari and took a look at the page. Surprise -- Silverlight crashed within seconds, gave me some weird "Silverlight Error 1100". It took me a minute to figure out what had happened because it's been so long since I've seen a software crash. Microsoft software crashing on a Microsoft homepage. Nice. Keep trying, boys....